Burien Police: 14-year old brings gun to school Tuesday

1897953_438033796335951_407642424046587826_n

Burien Police officers responded to investigate a report of a 14-year old boy showing a handgun off to fellow students at his school Tuesday, May 20.

“Another student did the right thing and told school staff about the weapon, and is a hero for doing so,” police said.

While the police did not reveal the school’s identity, according to numerous comments on their Facebook page, it appears that this happened at Sylvester Middle School.

Officers contacted the juvenile male and recovered an unloaded handgun within minutes of the call. There were no threats, the gun was never pointed at anyone or used in a threatening manner. The juvenile was taken to the Youth Center and booked for felony possession of a handgun. We will also be investigating where this gun was obtained and holding anyone else accountable if a crime occurred.

“Burien PD will not tolerate weapons or unsafe behavior in our schools. Schools must be safe in order for learning to occur,” police added. “We commend the school staff and students for their actions today.”

Comments

27 Responses to “Burien Police: 14-year old brings gun to school Tuesday”
  1. Kit Kat says:

Another reason 6th grade students should not be in Middle School. 6th grade students are not mature enough to be included with the 7th and 8th grade teens. I foresee a large number of 6th grade students attending private schools in the 2015-2016 school year. Mine will be!

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 15 Thumb down 10

• John says:

Sixth graders aren’t 14 years old.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 4

• TbC says:

They might be at Sylvester!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 5

• John says:

I have a family member who works with the district. I did work with the district. Sixth graders are not 14.
          And in this particular district, Highline, 6th graders aren’t middle school students. Elementary school is K-6. So there are no 6th graders at Sylvester, let alone ones that are 14.

2. Cat Jonez says:

My daughter attends Sylvester Middle School and is supposed to be going to Highline next year. I am terrified for what is to come at the high school level. What are other alternative public schools are there? We can’t afford private school…what other high school options are out there?

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 3

• Chris says:

And how has your childs experience been at Sylvester? And your experience?

• leigh says:

This is my 4th child going through Sylvester and this is the FIRST incident like this. Lets remember that the gun wasn’t loaded and no threats were made. Lets also remember that the students who learned of the gun did exactly the RIGHT thing! This is unfortunate and I totally understand this is a rotten shame but the staff at Sylvester is top notch and the fact that nothing came of this is a testament to them and the local police. I’m more concerned about the kid in custody and hope they have parents at home who care enough to hold him/her accountable.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 15 Thumb down 2

• Elaine says:

Cat: In the Highline District you can choose any school, bus service included.
      Go to the school district website, where all schools are listed, click on each school to get details on what they’re about. any special academic programs. Many specialty middle and HS offerings, whether your student is lower or higher academically. Application to special programs will include interviews with the student before acceptance, however.

3. brett says:

Don’t judge Sylvester Middle School by one student, that’s like saying because WA state approved Marijuana means that everyone in WA smokes it.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 13 Thumb down 4

• Cat Jonez says:

Not judging…its a rough school.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 10 Thumb down 3

• Chris says:

Sylvester is a “rough” school? That’s a pretty inaccurate generalization. If you want “rough,” then perhaps you should consider Chinook or Pacific (and even Cascade). Sylvester draws from a pretty great area.

Yes, this incident is shocking, but I woudn’t consider Sylvester “rough.”

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 10

• Jennifer says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 6

• Kit Kat says:

I am not judging Sylvester… The Highline school district will be moving 6th grade students to middle school starting in the school year 2015-2016. 6th grade students need that extra year in elementary school to mature. I do not think it is wise to put 11 and 12 year olds with 13 and 14 year olds. Does the district need room for future enrollment? Absolutely! But it should not jeopardize the safety and well being of children that have not yet matured to a teenage level.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 2

• Dan says:

I completely disagree that 6th graders aren’t ready for middle school. I went to middle school for 6th grade in Seattle, and while 11 year olds are fairly young, the transition from childhood to adolescence occurs right around 11 or 12, and as soon as that begins these kids want nothing to do with elementary age kids.

I also personally think that just 2 years at a particular school isn’t really enough time to develop good relationships with teachers and other students, and just generally getting used to being in one place. Picture moving to a new neighborhood and new school every two years. Stressful.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 3

4. Cynthia says:

A BIG Thank you to the boyhero who told the appropriate adults!

THANK YOU!!!!

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 14 Thumb down 1

5. Lisa says:

Sylvester is a wonderful school and my son loves it there. He is doing well and all of his teachers are intelligent people who care about their jobs. But my opinion of them will plummet if this stupid kid is not expelled from the school if not the district. He had better not come back, that would be totally unacceptable to me.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 7

• Lisa says:

By that, I mean my opinion of whoever’s decision it would be to NOT expel a gun-toting schoolkid.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 5

6. Lisa says:

So, there was another shooting in Burien tonight in the BZ’s parking lot(I work next door). My husband and son(who was holding the letter from Sylvester about the boy and his gun) were waiting for me in the parking lot, and a car drove by and fired at least 6 shots into the parking lot between my office and the My Goods Market convenience store(177th and Ambaum Blvd S). We left but my coworker saw the police come to search the parking lot and put up crime tape. I am hoping to get more info about this incident and find out if these guys were caught.

7. TbC says:

The kid has nice taste in guns! Must be from Normandy Park.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 3

• Yanantish vashist says:

Agreed!

• Lance K. says:

just for those who aren’t gun-informed:

the pictured gun is a Kimber 1911. a .45 ACP semi auto pistol. Kimber is typically regarded as a a pretty high quality gun build.

These are not cheap guns. typically above $1000 or so, where as some comparable caliber hand-guns can be found for $500 or less, so most people who own kimbers consider them a ‘step above’.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

8. Yanantish vashist says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 20

• Lance says:

‘Snitch’? really? a CHILD saw someone with a GUN at school(loaded or not, doesn’t matter), and told an adult, and that CHILD is a ‘snitch’??? are you kidding?

I mean, i’m a huge fan of 2nd amendment rights, the freedom and rights of an ADULT to carry a deadly weapon is 1 thing. a child with a gun at school is another all together.

don’t bring on the “snitch” culture. that’s just propagating a culture that looks down upon people who do the right thing. F$%# that.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 11 Thumb down 2

• Yanantish vashist says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 11

• Jennifer says:

Weapons are not allowed on school grounds for obvious reasons. So yes he should have gotten in trouble and YES the other student did the right thing for letting an adult know. the one thing I will agree with you is that the other middle schools are great schools and each have their own character and personality! Parents need to look beyond what they read n the headlines and visit their child’s future school before deciding it is the worst!

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

9. Vera says:

I could have guessed the school without even reading the article. Hopefully there will be Charter schools soon and you won’t have to subject your 6th graders to the crap that goes on there that hasn’t changed in many years.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 5

• Jennifer says:

Charter schools are not the answer. And saying that things have been bad there for years is ridiculous. I attended Sylvester and believe I had a great education from great teachers.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 5