B-TOWN BIZ: Longtime local business Burien City Garage has officially closed

BCGimage011

BCGimage012

BCGimage013

BCGimage015

BCGimage014

by Guy Harper

Sadly, longtime local business Burien City Garage has officially closed.

The history of the building – located at 14926 Ambaum Blvd SW – reveals that the roof beams were apparently salvaged from the remains of the collapsed Tacoma Narrows Bridge and the brass front door is from an office building in the state capitol.

Above the door in a gold color is the word “WASHINGTON.”

The late Duane Quande.

Duane and Mary Quande bought the business in 1975, and it is now being closed due to the recent passing of Duane (read our previous coverage here).

Starting this Friday, June 27, from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., there will be an Equipment Sale for heavy equipment such as lifts and hoists.

Although closed Saturday and Sunday, the sale will continue next week.

The extensive buildings and property, which includes BCG, the auto repair facility and the furniture store are also for sale. Contact Stu Engstrom, Sales Manager for Berkshire Hathaway Northwest Real Estate at (206) 799-5689 for details.

The memorabilia will be sold at a later date to be advised.

The 1957 Chevrolet convertible is for sale for $80,000.00; as many of our Readers may recall, this historic, restored classic was stolen, then recovered by Burien Police in October of 2012.

Call Shawn Cunningham at (206) 242-1700 for further details.

Comments

14 Responses to “B-TOWN BIZ: Longtime local business Burien City Garage has officially closed”
  1. Dan Lucero says:

A sad day in Burien, the Quandes are wonderful giving people. It is a very sad day to see one if the last iconic businesses in Burien close.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 18 Thumb down 0

2. Laurie Stratton says:

Great longtime NAPA customers! And always a part of the NAPA Family! Duane, we miss you….Mary, our thoughts are always with you!

3. gary nichols says:

This is indeed a sad day for Burien , I have known Duane and Mary Quande for forty years, I was a customer of them and they were a customer of mine ( I was a auto parts salesman for NAPA) since 1975. I have never known a more honest and reliable auto repair business in all my years in the industry. He loved the auto business and treated all of his customers with honesty and respect. Burien is losing a great business.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 0

• devilsadvocate says:

I agree Gary, that was a place you could always take your car for repairs and always be treated fairly, Going to miss it.

4. Question Authority says:

As a loyal long time customer I now need to know where I will find the excellent service I always received there while keeping my auto repair needs in Burien. What’s the word on the street for a firm “or two” that provides the quality and service they were known for?

• beckyp says:

what the address of this store?

• shari says:

QA, check out Fix Auto (formerly Stewarts) @ 8th & 148th…we had an amazingly good experience there a couple of years ago after a garbage truck made mincemeat of our truck mirror and window. (Lessons learned: Stewarts is fantastic and don’t park on 35th).

• Cyndi U says:

Interstate Tire on S 160th has always done right by us if you are looking for a good local alternative.

• Tom says:

If you have a Japanese branded car, I cannot say enough good things about Burien Japanese Auto on First Avenue S. They are competent, fair and honest. I have relied on them for years. I passed on buying a German made car last year and bought Japanese because they wouldn’t work on the German make.

Check out their Yelp comments.

5. Mike Srok says:

Very sad to see the doors close on this business…I’ve been a customer since the early ’90’s, and always got great customer service (above and beyond in some cases), and great results as well! I don’t have any idea where my wife and I will have work done on our cars when needed from now on. I can’t imagine it’ll be the same level of service we’ve become accustomed to from BCG. Best of luck to the whole team in their future endeavors~

6. Sally Newton says:

Such a loss for Burien of a reputable garage and wonderful staff. Duane has been our family’s mechanic forever and we will all miss BCG. In addition, Duane and Mary have been sponsors at the Highline High School Alumni Foundation Annual Golf day – always sponsoring a hole in support of the scholarship fund. Our condolences to Mary and the BCG family.

7. Tonya says:

If you’re looking for a new trustworthy and reliable mechanic then just down the street is Brendans Auto @ Ambaum and 155th. He’s taken excellent care of my family and friends for years!