‘Can Ferguson Happen Here?’ public forum will be Wednesday, Sept. 10

King County Councilmember Dave Upthegrove is sponsoring a community meeting called ‘Can Ferguson Happen Here?’ from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 10 at the Tyee High School cafeteria, located at 4424 S. 188th Street in SeaTac.

Upthegrove will be joined by King County Sheriff John Urquhart, King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg and a panel of community leaders for an “open conversation about race, culture and the community’s relationship with law enforcement.”

The panel will take questions from the audience and discuss:

• Militarization of the police
  • Law enforcement’s relationship with our diverse communities
  • Lessons learned from recent events in Ferguson, Missouri

TV Host Enrique Cerna will serve as moderator for the event.

Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the panel discussion will run from 7-8:30 p.m.

Comments

15 Responses to “‘Can Ferguson Happen Here?’ public forum will be Wednesday, Sept. 10”
  1. Loren says:

Absolutely a Ferguson could happen here. We are a liberal bastion that pits groups of people against each other and celebrates our victimhood.
    You betcha we could even be a Chicago if we want.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 24 Thumb down 10

• jimmy says:

OK if you were a police officer and some 290 lbs guy is standing in the road blocking traffic and you do your job and tell him hey get out of road your blocking traffic and he turns around and gives you a mouth full then attempts to assault you what would you do?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 11

2. Citizen says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 18

• jimmy says:

Well yes there are some bad cops out there but you also have to take into consideration that the media trys to make a story out of anything to get more viewers this why ever since 9-11-01 just about every emergency landing of a plan makes the news this also why they repeatedly tell you about bombings have way around the world even if no american were hurt

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 10 Thumb down 5

• tophat topcat says:

Yeah Jimmy its important when theres an emergency landing of a PLAN ..right?!? Cant wait to see one of those. Only in Burien!

3. Citizen says:

The director of the Office of Law Enforcement Oversight says, “support for effective oversight of the Sheriff’s Office waned and the spirit of collaboration was replaced with conflict and political maneuvering. As the environment grew more hostile, I recognized that effective civilian oversight of law enforcement could not be achieved.” You think anything you say will matter?

4. bullwinkle says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 8

5. MIchael T Kovacs says:

Why in SeaTac?

Is this 2014 polical election activity for vote buying?

Strange that Dave Upthegrove is chairing this. His polices in the Washington State legislature helped create the poverty in SeaTac that has led to dramatic increase in crime over the last few years. Put a heaping policy load of Julia Patterson tenure as King County Council member has helped contribute to this rise in crime. Also lets not forget about the 5 SeaTac Council members that do not care about the safety of our citizens. Collectively these people have only catered to the unions for minimum wage initiatives.

The SeaTac Police department has failed to communicate at large about the rash of “strong arm” robberies occurring for the last two months on the SeaTac, Des Moines, Kent borders.

Remember when you vote in November, all 3 Democratic-Liberal-Progressive candidates from the 33rd Legislative district should be voted out of office.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 16 Thumb down 8

• Des Moines says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 8

• Terry says:

Yet another argument by repetition about the horrors of paying people decent wages — horrors that are only apparent to the right-wing anti-union crowd.

You certainly can’t see any apparent differences in economic conditions between SeaTac and Burien just driving around. Outside of partisan blogs there I have only found one news story about the effects of the minimum wage hike (Seattle Times, Feb 13, 2014) and it paints a pretty balanced picture of some businesses contracting but others expanding. Meanwhile, there is the incontrovertible fact that many people had their wages increase 60%.

You have to be a pretty hopeless believer in trickle-down economics to see all this as leading to increased crime and poverty. Maybe saying it’s terrible over and over — without any basis in fact — will somehow make it so.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 7

• MIchael T Kovacs says:

Terry,

I moved here to SeaTac in 1986 from Oil City, Pennsylvania. I worked as a radio announcer making $8,000/year. My goal was to get out of what was soon to be poverty. 20% unemployment in Venango County, Pennsylvania. Hard work, community college and determination put me where I am at today. I was not born with a “silver spoon” in my mouth.

I feel for the immigrants but they were setup in SeaTac promised high paying jobs at the airport by Julia Patterson and Dave Upthegrove.

I am having my house reroofed by immigrants on the work crew. I am rewarding them with gift cards form Safeway to buy groceries for families by their hard work and dedication. They work for a company and are not hired under the table by me. I am paying a good chunk of change to their legal employer.

Anyone that says I am anti-union or don’t care about people need to sit down with me at Mikes Community Cup for coffee in SeaTac.

People might label me as not caring about people, but hard work and thinking out of the box will make you more successful to society than being a socialist. That is how I made it in my life.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 4

• Terry says:

Michael,

I’m sorry if I impugned the sincerity of your reason for opposing the SeaTac minimum wage. Clearly, a change like this has losers as well as winners, and the SeaTac referendum, which had none of the mitigating features that were added to the Seattle version, has undoubtedly been pretty rough on small businessmen and women.

I would suggest, however, that you redirect your anger from Dave Upthegrove and Julia Patterson towards Alaska Airlines, who chose NOT to reward the hard work and determination of its workers but to squeeze and outsource them to eke out a few more dollars of “shareholder value.” That was the prime motivation for the referendum. It is deeply unfair that the courts continue to shield Alaska Airlines from the effects of this law.

It is similarly unfair that this state gives massive assistance to Boeing — the bully on the block — but not to small businesses that really need it.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 4

6. Ken says:

Unfortunately I can’t make it to this talk. Above is a link to the equipment that King county has acquired through the DOD’s 1033 program. There are 13 bomb disposal robots, 54) 5.56mm military assault rifles, 66) 7.62mm rifles, 84) bayonets and scabbards + 104) additional bayonets. What does King county need with even one bayonet let alone 188 of them. Bayonets are knives that fix onto the end of a rifle intended to stab the enemy. There is also something else on the the list that I can’t figure out what it even is. Does anyone know what a “ALE29 WORK BENCH” is? It’s worth 100K. Closest I can figure is that it has something to do with aircraft countermeasures. Seems like our police force is already militarized to me.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

Share Your Opinion

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!