Fireworks illegal in Burien, but not Normandy Park or unincorporated areas

Fireworks are illegal within Burien city limits, so even if you’re ‘safe and sane’ and only setting off a Sparkler, or one of those classic old ‘Snakes’ that spew a strange mix of surely-toxic yet cool-looking chemicals, you’re still breaking the law pal, so get to know the rules:

“We would like to remind residents that possession, storage, sale, handling, and use of fireworks are prohibited within the city limits of Burien,” reads a statement from the city. “As the 4th of July holiday weekend approaches, local fire departments urge families to enjoy fireworks the safer way by attending locally sanctioned fireworks shows presented by professionals who adhere to safety codes. Anyone caught with fireworks within the city limits will be issued a citation, and the fireworks they have in their possession will be confiscated.”

However, fireworks are legal in Normandy Park and unincorporated King County, with some caveats.

Here’s info from the City of Normandy Park:

Where can they be used?

On your own private property!

When can you buy them?

FromUntil
June 28th12:00PM11:00PM
June 29th – July 4th9:00AM11:00PM

When can you use them?

FromUntil
June 28th12:00PM11:00PM
June 29th – July 3rd9:00AM11:00PM
July 4th9:00AMMidnight

No fireworks permitted on July 5th!

What can be used?

“Safe and sane” fireworks are permitted. See the pdf flyer below to view photos of illegal and legal examples.

In accordance with RCW 10.77.401, “No fireworks may be sold or offered for sale to the public as consumer fireworks which are classified as sky rockets, or missile-type rockets, firecrackers, salutes, or chasers as defined by the United States department of transportation and the federal consumer products safety commission except as provided in RCW 70.77.311.”

Attached Document or FileNormandy Park Fireworks Flyer, effective until October 2016

For more info, contact the Normandy Park Police Department:

801 SW 174th Street
Normandy Park, WA 98166
206-248-7600

As for unincorporated King County:

• Fireworks may be discharged only on July 4 from 9 a.m. to midnight.
  • Fireworks sales: legally start noon June 28 until 11 p.m.; then, daily 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. through July 4. No sales after July 4.
  • You must be at least 16-years-old with picture identification to purchase fireworks.
  • Use only approved, legal fireworks from reliable Washington State and King County Fire Marshal licensed retailers.
  • Always have a responsible adult light all fireworks.
  • Have a charged garden hose or a fire extinguisher handy.
  • Use fireworks under outdoor conditions only, away from buildings, houses with wood shingles, trees, and dry fields.
  • Avoid aerial fireworks.
  • Light one item at a time, move away quickly, and keep a safe distance.
  • Dispose of used fireworks by first soaking them in water.
  • Ensure the safety of pets.  Use eye protection. Clean up all debris.
  • If a device does not light or fire, an adult should wait a minimum of five minutes before approaching the device.
  • If it has a stick or fins and it goes up, or if it blows up, it is illegal in Washington State.
  • Rather than buy fireworks, consider attending a public fireworks display.

Comments

14 Responses to “Fireworks illegal in Burien, but not Normandy Park or unincorporated areas”
  1. Ira Hartman says:

No fireworks in Burien is the law.

I challenge you to report any arrests and/or convictions for breaking this law.

Alternatively, how about reporting any police activity actually challenging anyone for violating this law?

Pure paperwork BS.

2. Legal or not they are already lighting up the ‘hood. Have been hearing them for a week. Haven’t been able to take a vacation this time of year since I bought the house for fear it be burned down. Probably nothing will ever stop those who want to blow something up.

3. James L says:

They will spend their whole paycheck on artillery rounds and getting drunk then be at the food bank a week later

• eric says:

James L., I assume you think all the folks on Three Tree Point, which is crazy with fireworks all during the 4th, are using the food banks?

4. nicky says:

Oh my gosh these notices are hilarious. As if anyone follows them and the police don’t even enforce the rules. If you call they’ll tell there is nothing they will do about it. The explosions have already started and will go well past the 4th.

5. Jimmy says:

This is why if you’re going to make a complaint about fireworks . Take pictures and video of the people lighting them off and give them to the police. This way the police will have the evidence of who was lighting the fireworks and change that person.

Because usually what happens is by the time the police get to the call they can not prove who been lighting the fireworks and can’t charge anyone for the crime.

6. RobB says:

Or so many fireworks calls are coming in they are stacked..Meanwhile our deputys are running call to call with the everyday pressing calls during a drunken party night…It’s the same in every busy city….

7. Richard G says:

I would rather have our limited police resources used for more severe crimes. Fireworks are not high on my priority list.

• Lee Moyer says:

I’m sure the police agree with your priority. They can respond to any call only when a higher priority call doesn’t exist.
      It will still pay to call since they track the calls they do not respond to.

8. Jimmy says:

Well at least we are not hearing as much of the fireworks as in years past. I have only herd a few little pops during the day and at night a couple of booms. I know after sun down on the 4th for about 3 hours there will be more.

to the people giving the thumbs down on my last post. Just be safe and remember if you blow up your hands you can’t flip your screen the finger anymore while reading my post’s.

9. Private says:

No matter what they are still going to be lit off

10. Cary Brown says:

If they are going to ban fireworks then they need to start passing out the tickets left and right, that is the only way they will get it to stop, elsewise just allow them because they don’t do anything about it anyhow. I’ve lived here my whole life and this is the noisiest it’s ever been at this house. Usually there are 3 that go at it all night but now I’m surrounded. I’m not against the fireworks, but they are all breaking the law. They know nobody will do anything about it. I live in a heavily wooded area and I’m always afraid they are going to light it on fire.

11. S S says:

At lease they could stop at midnight so us that have to get up at 5:00 am to go to work and we get maybe two hours sleep because our animals are out of the heads in fear and don’t know what’s happening . intill they shut down the Indians fireworks stands it will not stop. I’m in a no firework area and they started on Friday and we’re still going at 3:30am Tuesday morning. I’m a Block Watch Captain and if this is way my neighbors are going to treat me I don’t know why I’m a Block Watch Captain Thanks for letting me air my crap at my neighbors

12. S S says:

You can get a permit to set off fireworks ?.Wednesday July 13 10:00 pm for 25 mimutes I called 911 and was told that house had a fireworks permit and could set them off ???

Share Your Opinion

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!