Four Highline High School student athletes injured in car accident

By Isabel Herbruger, age 12

Tuesday (Sept. 6) was supposed to be the opening game for the Lady Pirate Soccer Team against Thomas Jefferson and I was excited to start the year off with some great shots. August is a long time without sports. I was confused when I arrived at Highline Memorial Stadium and it was empty!

I found out the Lady Pirates spent their afternoon in the Highline ER waiting room after four of their starting teammates were in an accident on Ambaum Boulevard around 3:30 p.m. The team had been on their way to their normal pre-game meal when an elderly man turned in front of them and hit them.

Car

The elderly man and his dog were okay and walking around at the scene. Susy, a junior defender, was taken by ambulance to Highline. Brittney, a junior defender, Bianca, a junior midfielder, and Gabby, a freshman forward, were taken by others to Highline to be checked out. I talked to all of them and their families at the hospital.

Bianca-and-Susy

Bianca and Susy.

I asked them what happened. Susy told me:

“Everyone was telling me to put on my seat belt and I had just said to my cousin that ‘I trust Brittany, she is a good driver.’ Then like twenty seconds later I saw someone turning in front of us. The next thing I remember was waking up like I was in a dream. There was smoke around and I was laying on my back being asked questions.” Susy now has 21 stitches in her head, seven of them on the inside! Her mom wanted other Pirates to get the message: “Always wear your seat belt!”

Brittany-and-Gabby

Brittany and Gabby.

Brittany was sore in her back and neck, but remembers being scared when she pulled Susy from the car. Brittany’s dad told me he thought he could see a dent where Susy’s head hit behind the driver’s seat belt area. He told me the accident report said no one was speeding, otherwise it could have been much worse than sore backs and seat belt burns.

Gabby was the last one to be released. She has only been playing soccer for six months and was excited to start her first Varsity game tonight. I asked her what message she had for others, “It doesn’t matter if you trust the person driving, you do not know what the other drivers are going to do. You just always have to wear your seat belt.”

I did not talk to the coach, but the players told me they believe they have enough players for their game on Thursday in Eatonville. Susy may miss most of the season before she is healthy enough to return. The other three might be able to play next week if they get clearance from their doctors.

Reporting on accidents is hard to do. It is definately more fun to report about Pirates on the the playing field!

Thank you for your time and consideration,
– Isabel H.
The Official “Unofficial Pirate Photograpgher”

Comments

16 Responses to “Four Highline High School student athletes injured in car accident”
  1. Chris says:

Great article Isabel. You really have a knack for getting the point of a story across. You will make a great reporter one day. Great to hear the girls aren’t worse than they are. Get better soon!

2. Gail Kinney says:

It’s one of your worse night mares to get a phone call from your granddaughter she was crying so much I could hardly understand what she was saying, Nana I’ve been in a car accident my heart stopped. God was watching over those kids it could have been so much worse.

3. Jimmy says:

Sad that this happened but why would the teenage driver started driving the car before everyone had there seat belts on. The drivers insurance company will have a field day with this one.

• Question Authority says:

I imagine them telling their parents “at least I wasn’t texting” How can those kids with a straight face say they have never heard ” seat belts save lives ” There are roadside memorials all around here they should pay a somber visit to that seat belt use would have lessened the severity of the loss of life (s).

• Question Authority says:

Her scar will be a lifelong daily reminder of could of, should of used my seat belt, duh!

• Jimmy says:

I would not be surprised if texting was involved. I mean your driving a 3,000 pound chunk of metal and plastic why would you take your eyes off the road.

Car full of teenager who knows what was really going on at the time of the accident. Now the parents of the driver will be paying for this out of there pockets for years.

Also the injured girls are going to most likely miss school and might have other issues on the field or even learning with a head injury.

I think the coach needs to kick the driver off the team for showing a lack of responsibility for taking the car out of park with out her fellow team mates having there seat belts buckled .
        This could of easily been life threatening. The driver should have stopped the car and demanded that the passenger buckle up or get out and walk.

• Susy oseguera says:

It was my fault she told me to put on my seatbelt and I didn’t want to so no she shouldn’t be kicked off the team thank you.and we only missed two days of school I’m going back to school tomorrow thank you

• Bianca says:

She shouldn’t be kicked off because she wasn’t on her phone for one. And for two I was passenger upfront so I know this for a fact. And for three if anything she tried to avoid the accident and even somewhat saved us. If it would’ve been a headon hit, it would’ve been way worse . so thanks for your opinion buttttt.

• Candace says:

Just to let you know what you wrote was really not needed. The driver is aware she shouldn’t of drove while there was a passenger not wearing her seat belt and the passager is very aware that she should have been wearing her seat belt. About the texting, she definitely wasn’t on her phone or she wouldn’t of thought quickly and turned to avoid a head on collision. Things could have been prevented yes but they are aware and they don’t need you writing something like that.

• Machelle says:

Jimmy, I don’t know who you are and you don’t know these young women. What makes you think you can assume they were texting because they were teens. the fact is they were not texting, they were not drinking and if it were not for the quick reactions of this young driver they would have been hit head on. They did not cause the accident. They were hit by another driver. You seem to be a very bitter person who should keep his thoughts to himself. The driver is also an incredible leader on the team. It is extremely awful that her friend was injured. They have all learned a tough lesson, how important seatbelts are! Don’t know why you think the driver or anyone should be kicked off the team for what happened. You need to check the facts and yourself before saying such horrible things! I am proud of the driver and her friends.

4. Tammy says:

Great article Isabel!

5. Jimmy says:

I think the state needs to change the driving laws make it where a 15 1/2 year old can still get there learners permit but not get there full license till there 18. This would give the teenager 2 1/2 years of real world driving experience.

This way the can experience driving in different weather situations and traffic flow. This would also help to keep the parents from being responsible for any bills,fine,fees from accidents.

So in situations where there teenager just did not feel like putting on there seatbelt and ends up with over 20 stitches the teenager (young adult) would be at fault and have to pay the ticket medical bills and the hike in insurance cost’s.

6. karen says:

I am so proud of these young ladies, first for their honesty of what actually happened, (they could have lied, but didn’t!) next for their ability to hold it together during a very scary situation! I am thankful these beautiful girls are all going to recover from.their injuries and be able to move forward from this, and Jimmy, whoever u are, obviously u never made a mistake in your life! Shame on u for posting such judgmental words against a group of young people who will he reading your angry message, God help u if u ever need empathy! Think b4 u write, Jimmy!

Share Your Opinion

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!