Snow storm causes outages, closes just about everything in region Monday
Lots of snow has caused numerous power outages in the region, as well as school and other closures on Monday, Feb. 6.
Here’s how this storm – which dumped around 5-6 inches of snow – has affected our area (hat tip to the City of Burien for some of this info):
- The Burien City Council meeting – set for Monday night – has been canceled. It will be rescheduled for next week.
- Highline Public Schools are all closed for the day.
- The Burien Library is closed for the day.
- City Hall is open until 2 p.m. Monday (Feb. 6) and will open at 10 a.m. Tuesday (Feb. 7).
- A power line went down near St. Francis of Assisi on SW 152nd and 21st Ave SW.
- Power has gone out for most Burien residents. Check with your utility company to find out when power is expected to return.
- There have heard reports of power lines down on the road. DO NOT GO NEAR DOWNED POWER LINES! If it is down, assume it is live! Below are the phone numbers you should call to report downed trees or power lines.
- Report downed or unsafe trees in the right-of-way:
- To City Hall at (206) 241-4647 during regular business hours (Mon-Fri, 8am – 5pm)
- To 9-1-1 during non-business hours.
- Report downed power lines to the appropriate power utility.
- Seattle City Light, 206-706-0201 or 206-706-0205
- Puget Sound Energy, 1-888-225-5773
- Treat dark traffic signals as 4-way stops.
- Keep flashlights and spare batteries handy.
- Community Development staff will be not be conducting inspections today (February 6).
- Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department and the Burien Community Center are closed due to power outage. All programs and events are cancelled today.
- For more information about winter weather, visit http://www.burienwa.gov/index.aspx?nid=763
Road conditions and closures
Snow and ice create treacherous driving conditions. If you can avoid driving, please do. City snow plows have been out since 7 p.m. Sunday night. See this map showing priority snow and ice removal routes in Burien.