Hit & run near Highline Performing Arts Center Friday night kills woman

Photo courtesy Darla Green

Police closed down S. 152nd east of 1st Ave South for the investigation. Photo by Scott Schaefer.

The King County Sheriff’s Office is reporting that a woman has died after a hit and run near the Highline Performing Arts Center Friday night (Feb. 24), shortly before 7 p.m.

An adult female in her 60s was hit by a driver who took off, and the victim died at the scene.

Police say that the suspect vehicle is a newer, silver or grey sedan, most likely with damage to the right front. The car was eastbound on S. 152nd Street when it struck the victim.

This may be related to a performance of “Annie Jr.” by St. Francis of Assisi School students, which was scheduled to start at 7 p.m.

Police have blocked off S. 152nd east from 1st Ave South, and are investigating.

As we gather more information, we’ll update this post…

Comments

8 Responses to “Hit & run near Highline Performing Arts Center Friday night kills woman”
  1. All my greatest wishes for the well-being of the woman that was injured!… What will it take to get motorists to OPEN THEIR EYES and really LOOK FOR and SEE pedestrians? Especially in these dark afternoons and evenings, KNOW that people are out there walking. LOOK for them and slow down as you approach intersections and high-pedestrian areas. (And I don’t know this particular situation, but as a pedestrian myself, I’m VERY aware of my own visibility to motorists!) Pedestrians, cyclists and motorists must always be on the lookout for each other. Please…

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 54 Thumb down 16

• Colleen says:

My deepes condolences to her family. What a tragic situation for her family. God Bless her. May she Rest In Peace. I pray the criminal is found and brought to justice.
      Maureen, I couldn’t agree more with your post. I thought it was a great reminder to all of us to slow down. I didn’t mean to give you a thumbs down. I tried to undo it, so I could give it a thumbs up & it won’t change. I’m sorry.

• Maria Fushazi says:

So so sad my daughter just came back from the play at St Francis. We are very upset and may God bless her and her family.

• btowner says:

How could anyone thumbs down this comment? Its common sense. Thumbs up.
      Seriously people, keep your eyes open, get off your phone and drive.

• Dan says:

That street is too dark at night. There should definitely be a lit up crosswalk there.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 36 Thumb down 1

• Katherine says:

That crosswalk really needs one of the button activated crosswalk signs with flashing inset road lights as well as flashing signs.
          …though all the bells and whistles are no help at all if the driver is irresponsible or impaired; which given that they didn’t stop and stay to take the consequences of their actions is probably the case in this situation.

2. Something weird happened last nite- did not say anything but had no proof-After this story about the Hit & Run-There was a Car with the Low Boom Boom Vibrating the whole Neighborhood going up & down the street- 8th Ave So. Blvd. Pk. This is unusual–BUT>>> There is a House on 8th Ave So & 120th Lite Blue-Grey–They do fixing up & Paint Jobs on Vehicles–Just a Thought if you want to check into it–Feel free to E-Mail me.

3. Vera says:

If the area that the woman was hit is the crosswalks in front of the PAC, that is a very dangerous street crossing when there is an event going on. The car traffic view of people trying to cross 152nd is blocked by cars parked on the side of the road. Of course we don’t know if that was the cause of the person being killed, but it is a big problem. Whoever is responsible for road safety in front of the school whether it is the county, the city, the school district or all of us as a community, I don’t know. People come from different areas to attend the PAC and aren’t familiar with the roads. I hope whoever hit her does the right thing and comes forward. What a terrible tragedy.

Share Your Opinion

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!