Matt Griffin YMCA’s annual ‘Healthy Kids Day’ will be Saturday, April 29
On Saturday, April 29, the Matt Griffin YMCA will be holding its free ‘Healthy Kids Day,’ the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well-being for kids and families.
The day-long event features 200 free bicycle helmets and activities such as family Zumba, water hockey, rock climbing wall, bounce house, obstacle course, touch-a-truck, face painting, gaga pit, fitness games, healthy cooking demonstrations, arts and crafts to motivate and teach families how to develop healthy routines at home.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at over 1,600 Ys across the country by over 1.2 million participants, works to get more kids moving and learning, creating habits that they continue all summer long. When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles that prevent them from reaching their full potential. Research shows that without access to out-of-school learning activities, kids fall behind academically – this summer learning loss is more pronounced among students from low-income families. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. As spring turns to summer, Healthy Kids Day is a powerful reminder not to let children idle away their summer days. Instead, the Y wants families to focus on “charging” kids up with enthusiasm for themselves and their potential.
“When a child is healthy, happy, motivated, and excited something amazing is inevitably going to result,” says Larodus Carter, Regional Administrator, CHI Franciscan and Matt Griffin board member. “We see the potential of all children, and we strive to help kids find that potential within themselves. A child’s development is never on vacation and Healthy Kids Day is a great opportunity to educate families and motivate kids to stay active in spirit, mind and body throughout the summer,” said JD Hill, Executive Director, Matt Griffin YMCA.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development. And to keep kids’ taste buds evolving, have everyone in the family try at least one bite of a new fruit or vegetable at least once a month.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs, bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
The Matt Griffin YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day takes place at 3595 S. 188th St. SeaTac WA, 98188 from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm and features fun, active play and educational activities, such as Zumba, water hockey, rock climbing wall, bounce house, obstacle course and healthy cooking demonstrations along with resources giveaways from many community organizations.
All kids deserve the best summer ever. Healthy Kids Day is sponsored by Seattle Southside Regional Tourism Authority and Seattle Southside Chamber of Commerce.
Matt Griffin YMCA of Greater Seattle 3595 S 188th St. SeaTac WA, 98188 206-787-1185
For more information, contact JD Hill at 206-787-1185 or visit Seattleymca.org.