LETTER REBUTTAL: Darla Green responds to Letter to the Editor about her

[EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is a Letter to the Editor, written by a Reader. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The B-Town Blog nor its staff:]

The following Letter to the Editor is a Rebuttal to one that was published on Sept. 26, 2017:

Ms Alley,

Thank you for the civil tone of your letter and for recognition of some qualities that I have, which you admire. I appreciate this opportunity to address the other issues you’ve raised, which perhaps have been misunderstood or ignored by yourself and others. Without the complete context of what has occurred recently in Burien some people could get the wrong impression.

The term “activist” can mean a benign proponent of one view or another, like you suggest, or it can also convey a connotation of more aggressive behavior, intended to shut down debate. When a militant or extremist version of activism is employed, using intimidation or threats of violence, it’s the exact opposite of your chosen meaning. My use of “activist” is in keeping with this aggressive connotation, which is consistent with dictionary definitions, but more importantly, in response to current behavior in Burien.

I was referring to those who shout-down their opponents to prevent them from speaking; those who force the closure of meetings with shouts of “no sanctuary no peace” because they don’t want the people to vote on something important to the whole community. These are not benign expressions of opinion like you suggest, but attempts to prevent other people from expressing their opinions. This form of activism is not constructive, but extremely destructive of open expression.

Maybe my choice of the term “activists” was unclear to some people, so let me make myself perfectly clear now. People in our community who intimidate others into silence, especially by using threats of violence, are the real problem. But also the extreme efforts of certain activists to prevent the people from voting speaks volumes. They worked hard to not allow the people to vote. What are they afraid of? Democracy?

We have all witnessed the havoc created by some who, while under the banner of activism, have created an atmosphere of violence, intolerance, and hatred. We know there are some who will stop at nothing to further their opinions and agenda, and that includes hijacking City meetings to their own end. Many of these so-called ‘activists’ do not reside in the city, but are highly organized arms of outside influences intent on stopping those they disagree with. This serves no one, certainly not the citizens of Burien. This is my position, and I make no apologies for it.

In summary, I believe STRONGLY in civil discourse and openness of expression, then letting the facts speak for themselves. Not only am I “willing” to listen to all voices ” but I’m depending on it to reclaim Burien from the negative form of activism, brought from within our own elected council members, which is trying to silence others. Certainly, people should speak at public meetings, but they don’t have a right to prevent others from doing so. More importantly, I’m counting on people speaking through the ballot box. That’s the ultimate expression of one’s opinion and true democracy in action.

I have included a video link to which showcases these “activists” behavior in which my context is about:

I am saddened that I have had to write this letter to you. I appreciate you taking the time to read it. But I do have a right to rebut false and misleading information about me.

As a working small business owner, a single mother, someone who loves Burien and a candidate that is committed to serving ALL of the citizens in Burien I appreciate your understanding, your support and your vote.

Sincerely,
Darla Green
Position #5

[Have an opinion or concern you’d like to share with our ~100,000+ engaged monthly Readers? Please send us your Letter to the Editor via email. Include your full name, please cite your sources, remain civil and – pending our careful review – we’ll consider publishing it.]

Comments

34 Responses to “LETTER REBUTTAL: Darla Green responds to Letter to the Editor about her”
  1. JJ Greive says:

“In summary, I believe STRONGLY in civil discourse and openness of expression,”
    That has not been my observation, just LOOK at yourself saying “Anyone who does not live here, does not pay their taxes, does not belong here”. Pay your taxes?? Seriously?
    All citizens deserve proper representation, including those that you deem smelly or who disagree with you.
    and do you recall: October 24, 2015 at 11:57 pm
    I witnessed the incident Ms. Trenary describes. Her version is accurate in every detail. The man holding the sign was calm, quiet and respectful of the proceedings. He was simply standing in the rear of the room holding a small sign. Ms. Green walked up to him, took one of the extra signs he was holding, held it up to his face and ripped it in half while glaring at him. He kept his poise. His was a classy performance. Hers was an embarrassment for a public official. Or even a grown-up.

I see an angry woman unfit for office.

• Peter says:

JJ Grieve, what I see in you video you linked is a businesswoman in the middle of a bunch of disruptive homeless activists bused in from somewhere. And the rest of your post is just a baseless smear of a worth candidate for city council.

Clearly some people are pretty worried, otherwise the smears would not be happening. Anyone who wants a city councilwoman with a positive pro-Burien, pro-business, pro-growth, pro-safety agenda should vote for Darla Green.

Ignore these baseless, shameful smears.

• Mark Ufkes says:

JJG;

Actually, we need more women who get angry, particularly at condescending, hypocritical, white males. The most insecure men JJ, are always threatened by confident, capable women. And being a small business owner of any kind, takes courage and 80 hours a week. For you to degrade her career choice just shows how threatened you are by her.

U.S.Senator Patty Murray studied recreation at W.S.U. , known as the easiest major there. You can make fun of her too JJ. Yet she is now the most powerful women in national politics, leads veterans funding and protects public lands. Insecure white males JJ, threw the same crap at her.

Darla Green will be good for the complex discussions ahead, especially whether Burien should have a heroin injection site there. If Burien is smart enough to pass an ordinance against heroin injection sites, the injection site could end up in White Center right next to our famous ice cream parlor. Let’s see how that works.

And her opponent, Tosta, has aligned with the Karl Marx segment in Burien, ” from each his abilities, to each his needs” Watch how many people come running to Burien because they have a “need” for heroin. Is that the best way to grow a small business district? Absolutely not. I spent three years as a development economist in the former Soviet Union, helping clean up the social mess that Karl Marx created there. I support affordable housing, 100% voter turn outs, and homeless day shelters so that our libraries are used for their intended purposes. But heroin injection sites? This is the only time I ever agreed with Ronald Reagan. Just Say No.

• Captain obvious says:

Well Mark you live in white center and support White center.

Darla being a woman is not any of the problems People have with her. I think what most people see her as . In they see through the nonsense and that say one thing but mean another. The say one thing but do the opposite in your own life.

I have seen her bring up a situation before of someone who was in front of her business pointing and laughing. That she called the police on claming harassment and trespassing. The supect was trespassed but when she ran into the same person on her property she didn’t follow through on getting the supect arrested. She clams she wants to clean up crime and issue’s around burien but when faced with issue of a trespassing homeless ex meth addict. She let them walk to most likely harass another business owner.

This was one her platform speeches she gave on a personal experience with a trespasser that she felt threaten her and her customers. When she ran for city council the first time. Then she also never mentioned a report number of the police report. Or any real evidence of the crime other than her own words. Now it should be pretty easy to prove her case she could of even ask the officer’s that responded to way in on the supect pass and the situation in burien with similar people being homeless in burien. When speaking about this at the candidates forum. But instead she acted as if the police were buffoons and didn’t do there job. That they knew the supect from previous run in’s. But she still didn’t call that supect in with a history of crime running into the supect a second time. Even after knowing his history the exact evil issue’s she clams to want to get rid of in burien. But she did nothing.

How are we supposed to trust that she would do something for the city if she can’t for her self or her customers.

• Captain Obvious- your predisposition toward name-calling and generalization simply label you as an ‘ear-closed, progressive’ voice that has lost its relevance. Intolerance toward anyone who disagrees with the sacred cow of your crumbling belief system will be subject to ridicule and unfounded accusation. Weak. Extremely weak.

• Captain obvious says:

What name calling are you speaking of his name is Mark I referred to him as Mark.

• Captain obvious says:

Keith what I see your trying to pinpoint me in to some group. By using social justice warrior type phrases or terms.

Now you don’t personally know me all you have done is read maybe a few comments of mine. But you want to make such a statement about me. Now you could of also misread what I am saying or are not aware some of words I used to describe say the ex meth addict. We’re actually the same terms use by Darla green when explaining the situation.

But since you are in disagreement with me and we are in 2017 on a blog. You must flag me as being a part of what you call a closed ear group. When all I have done is explain true facts with no spinning of the details at all.

When in actuality you are basically name calling something you supect me of.

• This is just another example of someone living in their echo chamber, reading into her words to vilify and to strengthen an extremely weak position. How about sticking to the facts?

• Seahurst resident says:

I always thought liberals stand up for women’s rights. I see a woman being surrounded by thugs and defend herself yet they conclude she is angry and unfit for office. Oh, irony.

• Jan headley says:

I can’t believe the sick things that were written about Darla Green. It’s not true, but anyone with half a brain knows this. Seems to me they are desperate to bring her down. Why so worried? I am voting for Darla to help save Burien. The other side is tearing down all that is Burien. I think next will be, changing the name of Burien. History is important to a tow, it tells how we got here and ignoring history makes us shallow and selfish.

2. Matthys van Leeuwen says:

Thank you Darla. You couldn’t have said it any better. I hope from now on we will see a spirited campaign about the issues that affect the citizens of Burien and its business community. We, as a business community want to invest in this town and not leave it alone. For that we are looking for strong civic leadership. The jobs and tax dollars generated by businesses help everyone regardless their origin or social status. We are proud of you that step up the plate to serve this city.

3. Ms. Hemmes says:

Fact: prospective candidate wrote NO activists
    Fact: Ms. Alley expressed concerns over anyone’s rights being taken away
    Speculation: this letter is not Ms. Green’s writing style, soneone who is annoyingly condascending wrote it

4. Justin cline says:

I wonder who actually wrote that? Because after reading Darla’s other posts and letters, this author clearly has a better grasp of the written word than Ms Green.

• dougfir says:

Darla Green seems like a demagogue obsessed with a non-issue, i.e, the sanctuary issue. I too wasn’t happy with the way some outsiders rudely treated our Council during that debate. But debate is debate – if you can’t handle the rough and tumble of debate, you don’t belong in public life.

More important, Burien has bigger issues of concern than this divisive fear-mongering non-issue of sanctuary – (1) economic development and (2) quiet skies. I will vote for candidates with a positive message, not someone who seeks to divide with useless rhetoric about outsiders and “activists”.

5. Patty says:

Oh Dear Darla, You say one thing here, but sorry, it doesn’t represent how you deal with people in reality. Words are just words, but your actions speak volumes about what you’re really like. Here’s some words from the letter that was posted by you, “In summary, I believe STRONGLY in civil discourse and openness of expression, then letting the facts speak for themselves. Not only am I “willing” to listen to all voices ” but I’m depending on it to reclaim Burien from the negative form of activism, brought from within our own elected council members, which is trying to silence others.” The problem with that statement is that it is not true. You believe strongly in blocking all the people that have a different opinion than you do.
    Here are some more words that were posted by you: “I was referring to those who shout-down their opponents to prevent them from speaking;” but this is how you work. You don’t shout down those who disagree, you just prevent them from speaking to you. How is that going to work for you should you make your way to the council? How is that going to work for me as one of the people that you have blocked. I do understand that your personal and council lives will have separate means of communication, but the die is cast. It would seem you’ve already written so many of the citizens off. You’ve already called all the Burien residents that came to the council meeting to speak in support of Sanctuary status “activists” in your sense of the word. But they were your fellow constituents, fellow Burienites.
    There is the elephant activist in the room too. I’ve seen the letter that Dick West wrote to the council about bringing in Craig Keller, have you? Craig Keller didn’t shout anybody down or even not allow them to speak. He is a true outsider and was allowed to manipulate the people you would want to represent. How many at the council meeting after the petition was certified stated they were harassed? How many said they would like to have their names stricken from the petition? How is that only Burien people getting to have input into this cities policies?
    It’s a real nice letter, but for a LOT of people it will ring very hollow.

6. John White says:

Would any of us want to run for office in this town? I supported Nancy and have witnessed her hard work. I also saw Darla bust her tail trying to get elected and losing…….when she lost I called her and said at least you tried. If she wins she surely deserves it because she earned it. I could not do it. Its painful just to watch. It reminds me of a quote that was written by a man so I changed all the “man” words to “woman”:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the woman who points out how the strong woman stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the woman who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends herself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if she fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that her place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Roosevelt wrote the quote, the only thing I changed is “man” to “woman” because it fits this crazy situation.

I will end by saying this election will soon be over. Someone will win, someone will lose but we will all still be living in Burien. I wish them both the best of luck and I appreciate their willingness to step in the arena. I wish Burien was a place where anyone could step in the arena and not get trashed so badly. Good luck Nancy, good luck Darla- I love you both and please accept my weaknesses for not doing a better job standing up for each of you.

• MichaelJ says:

TR was not referring to beauty salon owners running for political office when he wrote that. Applying that to Darla degrades the quote.

It actually applies more to those “activist” types she thinks she is distancing herself from, and failing miserably.

• Haters gonna Hate says:

Michael J:
        Just to be accurate Darla is a trained and skilled aesthetician. Her skin care clinic is not exactly a “beauty shop” in the traditional sense. They don’t do hair and such. I respect a lot of things about her and I believe she is motivated by a sincere love for Burien. I do not agree with her ideologies, her tactics or confrontational demeanor, but I would never seek to demean her hard work or choice of vocation. To do that comes across as elitist and smug. It actually degrades your fair point that the TR quote also applies to the exact “activists” which Darla would like to stop disrupting our council meetings and policy making process in Burien.
        I would prefer that we did not have such disruptions either, but we know that democracy can be messy.

• MichaelJ says:

Terminology changes, and more certifications are required for both marketing and access purposes, but the bottom line is she is not a Doctor doing plastic surgery or dermatolgoy either.
          That is related to making her in to something she is not.

Perhaps those “disruptions” would be less frequent if the issues they covered were seriously discussed and productively addressed too. Instead of being kicked down the road that is rapidly becoming a dead end.

• Jake says:

So you’re saying, because of her business of choice, her experience as a business owner isn’t valid? MichaelJ what do you do for a living? Do you own a business? Just gauging the relevance of your demeaning comments.

7. Justanothernumber says:

Soon, the Burien City Council will need to address the issue of whether or not a heroin injection facility should be created in our community. The campaign to implement this has begun and we have already heard from ‘social justice’ activists on how attracting more junkies into our neighborhoods is a great idea… somehow.

As with any controversial issue, such as ordinances 606 and 621 from two years ago, hearings will surely attract organized protesters and activists (just as hearings on those two issues did). It would be nice to have a councilmember who listens to the needs of working families in Burien, rather than cadres of protesters seeking to shut down their opposition (no matter how well their chants rhyme).

8. Lake Burien says:

Fact: Small business owner, Burien taxpayer, homeowner has paid protesters storm into her shop.
    Fact: Protesters are basically defending homeless people’s “rights” to sleep or defecate where they please. Said biz owner frequently deals with squatters, addicts, and street crime at all hours.
    Fact: Business owner labeled, slandered and convicted in the public eye of being discriminatory.

Leadership requires many traits and qualifications.
    So while many will bicker over social media riffs, assumed slights and stolen campaign signs, informed voters will recognize a local, grounded professional person stepping up to the plate to serve our community.

9. David Feinberg says:

Hi Darla,

Below is my Unpacking of Your Rebuttal,
    The true point of words is to communicate your words read like a sales pitch for a product I don’t want to purchase, take home and have in my living room.

Darla Green, “Furthermore, when these types of activists abandon logical arguments and instead label anyone who disagrees with them as “racists” they reveal the weakness of their own position. People can have legitimate disagreements over policy without being racists. Many good people in Burien have real concerns about crime, lawlessness, and just basic safety, so it isn’t fair to label them as “racists.” In our society today, being called a racist is virtually the ugliest term possible. Yet we are hearing it over and over again in Burien. That term is no longer a credible excuse for debate. Not to mention simply not true.”
    DF) This is a great question. On many forums I asked Darla Green, Debi Wagner, Joel Manning and Patty Jansen, if they wanted to disavow their connection to Prop1? I asked because it is now well known that the outsider group USA Inc. that paid for signature gatherers is funded by John Tanton, the “puppeteer” of the nativist movement and a man with deep racist roots. So the problem with NOT disavowing Prop1, means these candidates remain standing with the racists and white nationalists. Racist is an ugly word. I struggle with this; but you can’t have it both ways. Signing a document delivered by out-of-town racists; then not disavow it and not deny all connections to this hate group. Is it any wonder you are called a duck when you walk and quack like one? My apology, I doubt you are a racist but what can I think when presented with the above?

Darla Green, “Maybe my choice of the term “activists” was unclear to some people, so let me make myself perfectly clear now. People in our community who intimidate others into silence, …… But also the extreme efforts of certain activists to prevent the people from voting speaks volumes. They worked hard to not allow the people to vote. What are they afraid of? Democracy?”
    DF) Activists didn’t prevent the people from voting a Judge decided Prop1 was improperly written that didn’t meet legal muster.

Darla Green, “We have all witnessed the havoc created by some who, while under the banner of activism, have created an atmosphere of violence, intolerance, and hatred. We know there are some who will stop at nothing to further their opinions and agenda, and that includes hijacking City meetings to their own end.”
    DF) This sounds to me a lot like what I see the Mayor and certain councilmembers doing by twisting the council rules to their own ends. Is it any wonder when people fight back? Welcome to the democratic process.

Darla Green, “Many of these so-called ‘activists’ do not reside in the city, but are highly organized arms of outside influences intent on stopping those they disagree with. This serves no one, certainly not the citizens of Burien. This is my position, and I make no apologies for it.”
    DF) Once again I cite John Tanton’s USA Inc. The initiative you were denied the opportunity to vote on was the product of an outside highly organized influencer. Also, this is the way it is outsiders will come to Burien; shall we build a wall, can we afford one?

Darla Green, “In summary, I believe STRONGLY in civil discourse and openness of expression, then letting the facts speak for themselves. Not only am I “willing” to listen to all voices ” but I’m depending on it to reclaim Burien from the negative form of activism, brought from within our own elected council members, which is trying to silence others. Certainly, people should speak at public meetings, but they don’t have a right to prevent others from doing so.“
    DF) This is the most disingenuous thing you have said in your rebuttal and I strongly object. You regularly: censor people by blocking them, deleting posts you disagree with, talking down and occasionally shaming people. I have also seen you publically blame your staff. As a manager, they are your staff and what they do is YOUR responsibility. Blaming behavior is not the leadership skill I want to see in a council member.

Darla Green, “I am saddened that I have had to write this letter to you.”
    DF) Welcome to politics, time to grow a thick skin; it only gets worse; are you sure you are up for this?

Darla Green, “ I appreciate you taking the time to read it. But I do have a right to rebut false and misleading information about me. We are better than smear campaigning, you will not see this behavior from me. It is exactly this kind of campaigning that has brought Burien it’s current dysfunctional leadership.”
    DF) Unfortunately (IMO) by doing the exact thing you claim to abhor.

Darla Green, “ I know Burien is ready to get back to the business of Burien. Without bringing havoc and destruction in the process.
    Sincerely,
    Darla Green”
    DF) This is the one part of what you wrote that I believe and agree with. I cannot square it with any of your other above statements but this I absolutely believe to be true. I would not run for office and my hat is off to you for your service. If you get elected I will work with you as a member of the community.

Thank you for taking the time to give so much of yourself for the people of Burien.

10. Kellie says:

Darla Green. Is this the drama I can expect if you happen to win? Will you nitpick at the citizens or will you figure out why they might be upset? Judging from this election season alone I’m guessing you are opting for the nitpick option.

I’d think your skin would be thicker with this being your second go at city council. You think being a council person will stop people from expressing how they feel about your performance? It won’t. You can’t block them.

• Jake says:

You mean responding to someone’s letter to her? Kinda don’t think it’s “Nit picking”. Maybe you were looking for, “responding to incorrect accusations“? If I wrote a letter to a public forum saying you were unfit for your job, I’d wholeheartedly expect you to respond to my assertion.

11. justgym says:

I’m sorry Ms. Green I just can’t see you representing all people of Burien. I cannot in good conscious vote for you. You play on people’s fears and base your approval of others by their financial status. I hear no empathy for oppressed people in your message We all have racist thoughts, and the first step is to acknowledge them then not act on them. The fact you had to put in your statement in the voters’ pamphlet I am not a racist speaks volumes of how people perceive you. I wish you had a better understanding of the problems of the oppressed in this country. Thank you for running for office, but I need someone in office that represents all the people of Burien.

12. Peter says:

These nasty attacks on Darla are unfortunate, but serve to show that the opposition doesn’t really have any substantive reason to oppose her on the issues (yay! lets have heroin injection sites in Burien!). So instead they attack her personally. Keep it up guys, I think the voters are smarter than this and want safe streets, strong businesses, and a positive future. That will definitely work in Darla Green’s favor.

13. Jon says:

Yes, it is possible to have legitimate disagreements over policies without being racist. However, if one supports racist policies, one probably is a racist.

14. Patty says:

People stating why they won’t vote for a person are not attacks. When you run for office, you will have opposition. That is inherent in running a political race. People have freedom of speech to point out where Darla doesn’t suit them. That is what running for a position on city council is about. If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen! btw the definition of aesthetitian:
    a person who is knowledgeable about the nature and appreciation of beauty, especially in art.

a beautician.

• Peter says:

That’s the problem: nowhere in the letter does the person actually disagree with Darla on the issues. Instead, it attacks her personally. I understand why they are doing it – because they have no leg to stand on regarding the issues. But still, its all a personal attack. Moreover, calling her an “angry woman” is really nothing more than a shameful sexist remark. One would hope that a woman or a man (even one who disagrees with Darla) would call that stuff out. But they don’t – which I find interesting.

• MichaelJ says:

She IS an angry woman. Her temperment is germaine to her qualifications. And you really cannot discuss her single social “issues” with her rationally unless you buy into her anecdotal, superficial, and willfully ignorant beliefs. BTW, what is her plan for Burien’s economic development? Who gets paid? crickets…

I once gave her a fair chance to explain hersef to her face. She could not come up with with a single verifiable reference to her opinion and stated beliefs. She is actually an obstructionist, not a problem solver, in the political arena. We have enough of those elsewhere already thank you.

So you just choose the more competent and experinenced candidate. Who that is, depends upon what you have not verified that you believe out of whole cloth. Or not.

Share Your Opinion

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!