The National Weather Service issued the following ‘Special Weather Statement ‘ on Friday, Feb. 1, warning of “a threat of lowland snow showers across Western Washington Sunday and Monday as a cool and moist weather system tracks over the region”:
Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Seattle WA
307 AM PST Fri Feb 1 2019
San Juan County-Western Whatcom County-Southwest Interior-
Western Skagit County-Everett and Vicinity-Tacoma Area-
Admiralty Inlet Area-Hood Canal Area-Lower Chehalis Valley Area-
Eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca-Western Strait of Juan De Fuca-
North Coast-Central Coast-East Puget Sound Lowlands-
Bellevue and Vicinity-Seattle and Vicinity-Bremerton and Vicinity-
307 AM PST Fri Feb 1 2019
…LOWLAND SNOW AND STRONG FRASER RIVER OUTFLOW WINDS POSSIBLE
SUNDAY AND MONDAY WITH COLD TEMPERATURES THROUGH EARLY NEXT
There is a threat of lowland snow showers across Western
Washington Sunday and Monday as a cool and moist weather system
tracks over the region. Snow levels will be close to sea level.
Given the showery nature of this system, snow amounts will not be
uniform across the region. However, heavy accumulations are
possible with stronger showers. Showers may decrease in coverage
on Monday as this system exits south of the area.
In addition, strong north to northeast winds are possible due to
Fraser river outflow. This typically affects western Whatcom
county and the San Juan Islands. Winds may peak early Monday
morning then gradually ease.
Expect cool temperatures Monday through Wednesday with highs only
in the 30s and lows in the teens to 20s. This is around 10 to 15
degrees cooler than normal.
- Today: Rain. Steady temperature around 50. Breezy, with a south wind 17 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Tonight: Rain likely before 10pm, then a chance of showers, mainly between 10pm and 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. South southwest wind 9 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 48. South southwest wind 7 to 11 mph becoming north northeast in the morning.
- Saturday Night:A 30 percent chance of showers after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. North wind around 11 mph.
- Sunday: A chance of rain showers before 10am, then rain and snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. North wind 7 to 14 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
- Sunday Night: Rain and snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Monday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
- Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 37.
- Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 27.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 40.
- Wednesday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32.
- Thursday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45.