Burien’s Arts-A-Glow Lantern Festival & Procession has put out a Call for Artists “to provide temporary illuminated artworks” with a deadline of July 9.
The event will be held from 5 p.m. – 10 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 8.
The city is trying to make this another “magical evening in the forest,” and if you attended last year’s glow you’ll remember how amazing it was.
“We will have lantern art and performers around every corner, face painting, and tea and treats,” reads an announcement. “Make your own lantern and join the procession at dusk (8ish)…don’t miss it!”
Organizers also encourage participants to bring bells to play as you walk to “make beautiful music” (Procession map).
“Artists are invited to submit proposals to provide temporary illuminated artworks as part of the Arts-A-Glow Lantern Festival in Burien,” reads an announcement on the city’s website.
The festival is sponsored by the City of Burien with some financial assistance from King County’s 4Culture.
The 2012 Arts-A-Glow Lantern Festival and Procession will be held again at Dottie Harper Park.
More information available here: www.burienwa.gov/GLOW
Applications must be submitted electronically, no later than 5pm on July 9 to email@example.com.
Artists are invited to submit proposals to provide temporary illuminated artworks as part of the Arts-A-Glow Lantern Festival in Burien, Washington. The festival is sponsored by the City of Burien with some financial assistance from King County’s 4Culture.
- Artists are encouraged to visit Dottie Harper Park (4th and 146th SW; Burien) http://www.burienwa.gov/index.aspx?NID=401 prior to preparing their proposal.
- The artworks must be waterproof.
- Artwork must have no lasting physical impact on the park – leaving “no trace.”
- Artwork must be family friendly.
- We are open to illuminated two- or three- dimensional, multi-media and/or performance works.
- ARTIST FEES & RECOGNITION
- Artists proposals will be selected from the pool of applicants. Artists’ fees up to $500 will be awarded. Please include a budget narrative with your proposal justifying your requested amount.
- Artists’ names will be listed on promotional/outreach materials.
- Quality of submitted work
- Ability of the proposal to be executed within the budget and timeline
- Ability of the proposal to meet public safety and environmental issues
- Compliance to guidelines and submission requirements
- Describe project benefits, including if/how the public can be involved in the construction and/or interact with the completed artwork.
The Arts-A-Glow Advisory Council, the City of Burien and 4Culture will have the right to graphically reproduce accepted work through print, film or electronic media for documentary, educational, and promotional purposes.
Ongoing communication with Arts-A-Glow Advisory committee regarding project evolution and site needs.
Artworks must be installed and/or ready to display by 5pm and removed between 10 and 11 pm on September 8, 2012.
Deadline for Submissions: July 9, 2012
Project/installation proposals must be original. • Artworks that received funding must be able to accommodate weather, as Arts-A-Glow will take place rain or shine.
To apply, each artist (or project team) must submit the following materials by e- mail with the following requirements:
In body of e-mail:
- Name of Artist with contact information (address, phone, e-mail) including Artist’s web site link (if available).
- If applying as a team, please provide contact information for team lead.
Attachments (WORD docs are best):
- Narrative description of project (no more than 2 pages including conceptual intent, materials, and method of execution.) Artists are encouraged to describe how they will involve the public, either in the creation or interactive exhibition.
- Project budget for artists’ fees and materials (up to $500) will be awarded. Please include a budget narrative with your proposal justifying your requested amount.
- Lighting and safety plan (All lighting and safety plans will be reviewed by the Burien/ Normandy Park Fire Department as part of the selection process.) Limited AC power may be available for lighting, however proposals should provide for alternative methods (battery, LED’s, etc.).
- Resume or Artist’s biography (200 words or fewer) including previous awards, honors, shows, degrees.
- A digital image of a sketch or model of the piece (If the piece already exists, submit a digital image of it as part of your three images- see #6.)
- Images: Provide three digital images of generally similar previous work in .jpg file format, maximum dimension of 800 pixels in either direction. Include a description of the images (artwork title, dimensions, medium, and year of creation).
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
Please send proposals to: email@example.com before 5pm on July 9, 2012.