The Des Moines Waterfront Farmers Market officially opens its season this Saturday, June 4th at 10 a.m. at South Marina Park in Des Moines (between 6-7 miles south of Burien – map below), and here’s a list of some of the things you can expect:
- Sunny weather, with a high near 72! North northeast wind between 7 and 14 mph.
- New this year – you can use EBT Cards or WIC Fruit & Veggie Checks.
- Asparagus will be in abundance at the market this weekend.
- The Saltwater Saints will be playing live music.
- Opening speeches will be given at 9:45 a.m., including an award to market Manager Rikki Marohl!
- Bloggers from sister site The Waterland Blog will be ‘blogging live‘ all day! Come find their tent – look for the big LCD monitor and geeky looking peeps muttering about internet stuff…
- Highline College’s MaST will be there with ‘Touch Tanks’! HCC MaST program will have their touch and feel tanks at the market for opening day, as well as every 4th Saturday of the month. This Saturday they will also have scuba gear for people to check out. HCC MaST is dedicated to expanding knowledge about the Puget Sound and the surrounding environment through teaching, outreach, and research.
- The Rotary Club of Des Moines is a group of leaders in Des Moines that are building a better community for us all to live in. Come by Rotary’s booth on opening day to learn how they build a better community, and how you can too!
- Destination Des Moines is a non profit working to promote and market our community, focusing on activities to make Des Moines sustainable and livable. Stop by the Destination Des Moines booth at the market this weekend to see how you can help promote and market our community with them!
- Des Moines Legacy Foundation is committed to preserving tradition and expanding youth, adult, and senior parks and recreation opportunities and facilities throughout our community.
- Seattle Southside is an organization promoting our area centrally located near SeaTac International Airport. They feature the perfect blend of urban attractions and close-by natural wonders. They also provide an ideal vacation base to explore Seattle, Tacoma and Washington State. Stop by their booth opening day to learn new places you could explore in our area!
- Breast Friends Lifesavers is a team ready to walk for the Susan G. Komen three day walk for breast cancer. Although the walk is not until September of this year, they will have a booth at the market this Saturday for opening day so be sure to stop by and support them in their fundraising for the cure!
- Truck Farm Seattle is a group that travels around to educate communities about gardens. How do they educate? They show people the garden in the bed of their truck! That’s why they are called Truck Farm. It’s a great new concept, you’ll have great fun hearing all about it at opening day!
- PSE’s Green Power Program is a voluntary option that enables our electricity customers to match up to 100% of the electricity they use with clean, renewable energy from local, independent projects. Stop by our booth to learn more about the program and to find out how you can participate!
The Des Moines Farmers Market is located in South Marina Park, located at South 227th St & Dock Street.
View Larger Map