REMINDER: The Walker Preserve Invasive Plant Removal Work Party is this Saturday, Nov. 10 from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – and volunteers are still needed to help.
“Since 2008, volunteers in Walker Preserve have removed large amounts of invasive plants and planted many native trees and shrubs,” reads an announcement. “You can help – no experience is required! We will be removing ivy – making sure the trees can continue to grow.”
Here are the details:
WHAT: Walker Preserve Invasive Plant Removal Work Party
WHEN: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m
WHERE: Walker Preserve park, SW. 168th St. and 2nd Ave. SW. in Normandy Park, up the road from Normandy Park City Hall. If driving, your parking options include:
- Three spaces in the small lot at SW 171st St. and Second Ave. S.W.
- On the street along SW. 168th St
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please plan ahead – this park does *NOT* have a restroom.
From the gate behind the Walker Preserve sign, walk down the trail towards the creek.
- Plant 90 native plants where there used to be just ivy. Seek out English ivy and remove it from trees and pull roots out of the ground. Seek out Himalayan blackberry plants, cut them back, and then dig out the root balls. Learn as you volunteer and make a difference!
What to bring:
- Your enthusiasm
- Clothing that will protect you from the rain and blackberry thorns
- Filled water bottle, gloves if you have them
This volunteer event is an opportunity to visit a pleasant park in the City of Normandy Park, along Walker Creek. The City of Normandy Park recently rebuilt the footbridge over the creek, and neighbors and other volunteers have made a lot of progress restoring the native plant community in this park. This work will help native plants thrive, and provide shade and food for the salmon that live in the creek. Please sign up if you can, or decide to show up at the last minute!
This stewardship project is a joint effort of the City of Normandy Park, and the Miller and Walker Creeks Stewardship program.
For more information, contact Elissa Ostergaard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 206-296-1909 (Saturday only: 206-707-6549)