Mount View Elementary teacher Jamie Ewing has been named a 2014 Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) LearningMedia Digital Innovator. The fifth-grade teacher is the only Washington State educator among the 100 teachers from around the country selected this year. Ewing was selected by PBS for his dedication and passion for innovative teaching practices that integrate digital media and technology in the classroom. He has developed a number of digital media and technology programs at Mount View, including:
- Curriculum for all fifth-grade students at Mount View that teaches basic computer programming and coding skills.
- Virtual science fair which allows students to explore earth systems, design related science experiments, and present their experiments as interactive web games, videos, or PowerPoint presentations.
- An engineering project that allows students to design and build two-wheel tractors.
- Partnership with BING to provide students an opportunity to create career- and college-focused photography projects.
- The eMAGINATION LAB after school program, which focuses on animation and computer programming.