EDITOR’S NOTE: Cass Huff is a 14-year old special needs student at Mt. Rainier High School. In 2016 she was named “Citizen of the Year” by the City of Burien. image1-2 image2 by Cass Huff Hello B-Town Readers! I apologize for not writing for a very long time. I have been recovering for these last couple months from my most recent (and hopefully last) surgery! One thing that happened recently is that I started high school!! It’s going okay so far. A couple more exciting things that have happened in my life are, I was grand marshal in the Burien Fourth Of July parade, I won Citizen Of The Year from the City Council, (as I mentioned earlier) I finished my 39th, and hopefully final surgery, and I was on the news a couple of weeks ago for an organization that’s very close to my heart, Melodic Caring Project. Melodic Caring Project is an organization that streams live music to hospitalized/chronically ill kids and teens. I am the Honorary Development Director. (If you want a blog on that later please let me know in the comments below.) So as I mentioned earlier, I have been recovering from my previous surgery. It was a big one, the biggest one I’ll ever have actually. Back in early May I had a spinal fusion but leading to the spinal fusion, I was in the hospital for eight weeks. I will spare you the details. Yes that is very long stay for a thirteen almost fourteen year old girl, well, it’s a long stay in the hospital for anyone. Most of the time, when people think a child or anyone for that matter, goes in for a major surgery they think it’s hard on the patient. But what they don’t realize is that the surgery also effects everyone around them. It affects the family, the friends, and even the staff who are taking care of the patient. When I was in the hospital, my mom stayed there with me 24/7. She only went home twice to nap throughout the entire eight weeks. It was a big toll on my grandma’s, my dad, my sisters, my friends…everyone. As well as it being hard on everyone, everyone who was on my team, nurses, doctors, residents, we all became sort of a family in a way. I know it sounds cliché but it’s true. I played dozens of tricks on them (especially the residents) and we developed bonds. When you go from seeing all of these people at least a couple times a day, every day, for eight weeks, to only seeing them every time you go to the hospital for an appointment (once every couple months) is a pretty hard transition. So yes, that stay was hard on everyone. But we also had a lot of fun. And I got to meet some more people! Alright! Well, this is a pretty long blog, so I’m going to go. Until next time! Over and out!]]>