If you saw major police activity at/near Highline Medical Center (16251 Sylvester Rd SW) on Thursday morning, Dec. 1, here’s what we know:
- Police say that aÂ mentally-disturbed male was on the roof of the hospital with a folding knife.
- Around 20 police and emergency vehicles were on site.
- Reports of heavily-armed police officers have been seen.
- Police have confirmed that this was NOT an “active shooter” incident. We have heard rumors that the suspect was armed with a gun, but the King County Sheriff’s Office says he had only a folding knife, but he was “yelling and threatening to shoot people.”
- As of 1:07 p.m., police are reporting that the suspect was apprehended and taken to Harborview Medical Center for evaluation.
- Sylvester Road was closed for a while.
- The hospital was reported on lockdown.
- Media (and perhaps police) helicopters were likely hovering overhead.
- Sylvester Middle School â€“ located across the street â€“ went into lockdown as well.
Photos from the scene of Highline Hospital. Subject will be taken to Harborview for mental health evaluation. pic.twitter.com/hxEwEUVRIz— KingcosoPIO (@kingcosoPIO) December 1, 2016
Subject on roof of Highline Hospital has been taken into custody. Area will be opened back up shortly.— KingcosoPIO (@kingcosoPIO) December 1, 2016
Negotiators are talking with man in roof of Highline Hospital. Will update as situation changes.â€” KingcosoPIO (@kingcosoPIO) December 1, 2016