[EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is a Letter to the Editor, written by a Reader. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The B-Town Blog nor its staff:]
Dear Council Members,
Your Oath of Office requires you to protect Burien against monetary harm. I believe it is time to replace Council Leaders creating gridlock. Burien will benefit from a new Council Leadership focusing on Burien.
How did Burien get here?
The three Council Leaders serving since 2014 share two things in common. They:
- Fail to act effectively
- Fail to keep their word
Their failings create Council inaction, making Burien unsafe.
Examples of failure to act effectively are:
- Mayor Krakowiak failing to take the initiative and ignoring known problems.
- Deputy Mayor Tostaâ€™s prioritization skills appear undeveloped, wasting Council time on unfunded and unplanned ideas.
- Former Deputy Mayor Edgar takes careless and inappropriate action instead of rebuilding Burien.
The Mayor has yet to articulate a credible agenda, allowing Homelessness and C.A.R.E.S. to dominate Council business in lieu of efforts to make Burien safer.
- Ignores Crime Free Multi-Family Housing Ordinances enacted by Tukwila and Des Moines, allowing Gangs to thrive in Burien. She learned of these Ordinances in 2009 and didnâ€™t connect with Our situation.
- Permits Allturus and other large apartments to continue receiving a $200 per year business license, despite higher policing costs for many of these apartments.
I experience the Mayor as secretive, arrogant and deflecting. This two minute video shows:
- Council Member Wagnerâ€™s question on absenteeism being deflected by the Mayor.
- Council Member Wagner then quizzing Council Member Berkowitz before being cut off by the Mayor.
- The Mayor changing the topic, avoiding Council Member Wagnerâ€™s direct request for information.
What is the Mayorâ€™s hidden agenda when she ignores pertinent Council questions? Ignoring. Mayoral arrogance encourages her to dismiss Residents, too. Are these actions Your idea of transparency?
Council Member Wagner might find â€œPoint of Orderâ€ useful. A Point of Order motion causes the following to occur:
- The motion requires the Mayor to answer absenteeism questions.
- Council Member Wagner would speak to the issues of transparency.
- Council Membersâ€™ vote on the question will be in the public record.
- Censure or removal from the Dais is the next step for continued intransigent behavior.
The Mayorâ€™s lack of Vision, Focus and Commitment to Burien are a leadership vacuum at the Dais leading to chaotic meetings, accomplishing nothing.
Business question to Mayor Krakowiak: Do you ignore your customersâ€™ needs? Yes / No If no, why do you ignore Your Residentsâ€™ and Businessâ€™ needs? Do you see Your inaction causing Burien to decline?
Deputy Mayor Tosta
Failure to act on Residentâ€™s needs demonstrates Deputy Mayor Tosta unqualified to lead. Her unfunded and unfinished homeless projects waste valuable Council time that could be spent solving problems.
Deputy Mayor Tostaâ€™s lack of focus is hampering the Councilâ€™s search to find a new City Manager: who would work for someone who wonâ€™t prioritize? Additionally, her failure to keep her word (Oath of Office) is a contributing factor to the Council spending time on her priorities instead of Community priorities.
Business question to Council Member Tosta: Did your Clients permit their time and money to be spent on projects they did not ask for? Yes / No If no, why do you spend Council time on unfunded projects the Community has not asked for?
Former Deputy Mayor Edgar
Former Deputy Mayor Edgarâ€™s inappropriate actions go beyond his careless letter writing, it appears he ignores monied interests damaging Burien, too.
On January 23, 2017 the former Deputy Mayor voted to not fund an FAA lawsuit to stop Burien overflights, disrespecting Residentsâ€™ pleas for action.
This FAA timidity underscores His inaction on other monied interests harming Burien:
- Landlords allowing criminal activities
- Banks abandoning foreclosed properties
These monied interests are degrading Burien financially precluding adequate Police funding.
Open question to the former Deputy Mayor: What actions have you taken to curtail monied interests harming Burien? Please specify.
Oath of Office
The days of ignoring Council misconduct are over.
Ignoring misconduct that damages Burien is a violation of Your Oath of Office. The Dais behavior of the Council Leadership is incongruent with workplace norms: they would be fired for such behavior in any normal business.
Replacing the Council Leadership establishes clear consequences for Council Member behavior.
Burien as an I.S.O. 9001 Quality City
The Mayor and Deputy Mayor serve at the pleasure of the Council. A Cityâ€™s quality of life is determined by its leadership. I believe the Council would be better served by Leaders who engage in dialogue. Dialogue is a critical component of consensus building, making things happen.
I propose the two Council moderates become a caretaker Leadership until January. Are the moderates perfect leaders? No. Leaders are made, not born. This experience will be the crucible that changes them and Burien.
Installing an effective Council Leadership is the first step in making Burien safer and more prosperous.
â€“ Dick West
[Have an opinion or concern you’d like to share with our ~80,000+ monthly Readers? Please send us your Letter to the Editor via email. Include your full name, please cite your sources, remain civil and â€“ pending our careful review â€“ we’ll consider publishing it.]