From our friends at WABI Burien: Begin the month of October with aÂ walk down the wooded hillside to Seahurst Beach thisÂ Sunday, Oct. 7, 2018, when anotherÂ Walk-n-Talk will start at the top of the hill and walk down the service road to the Environmental Science Center at the north end of Seahurst Beach. This road, and the paths on the adjacent hillside, are the â€œbest kept secretsâ€ known by striders and dog-walkers around town. Itâ€™s a beautiful gem of a spot!
- WHEN: Sunday, October 7, 2018. Meetup at 2:00 p.m.Â Walking starts at 2:15 p.m. Walk-n-Talks happen rain-or-shine, smiling and talking all the way.
- WHERE:Â Approx. 13200 Shorewood Dr. SW, Burien WA 98166 (Thereâ€™s a passageway in the cyclone fence in the corner.) See the map below.
- DIRECTIONS: From Burien Town Square Park, go WEST (toward the water) on SW 152nd St.:
- Turn RIGHT and go NORTH on Ambaum Blvd. SW until SW 130th St.
- Turn LEFT on SW 130th St. (at Lakeside Milam)
- Go up the hill, following the road and veer RIGHT on SW 131st St.
- Drive one block to Shorewood Drive SW, turn left and look for parking.
- Meet at the passage in the corner of the cyclone fence.
- PARKING: Parking at the site is limited and we suggest that, if possible, you carpool with other walkers. Since the walk starts in a residential area, we remind you to be considerate of private property and driveway accesses.
- WALK CONDITIONS & TIME: As with all of the Walk-n-Talks, each walker may go at whatever pace is most comfortable for himself or herself. The walk DOWN the hill on the road takes about 20-30 minutes; it is a hard-packed gravel, full-width road. The walk back UP the hill on the road is most gradual and easiest, taking another 20-30 minutes depending on pace. The walk UP along the trails is steeper and rougher, but quite beautiful. It may take 30 minutes or more (depending on how many photos you stop to take.) If it has rained within a couple of days, there may be mud in places, so boots may be desired.
- For those not wanting to walk back UP the hill, we suggest that friends carpool, leaving one car in the parking lot at Seahurst Beach, then driving to the walk starting point. Once completing the walk DOWN, you may then go to the car in the parking lot and drive back to retrieve the other car.