It snowed in Burien overnight, and as of 10:45 a.m. it was still coming down lightly â€“ good news if you’re a student who likes ‘Snow Days,’ or you just like to play in the white stuff. Of course, this also meant some power outages, and as of 10:18 a.m. at least 4,456 City Light customers were still without electricity:
SCHOOLS/CITY HALL CLOSED
UPDATE: There are now 26 separate outages affecting a little less than 10,000 customers across City Light’s service area. The largest outages are located in White Center/Burien and Shoreline.Bundle up and hang in there, everyone! Help is on the way. â€” Seattle City Light (@SEACityLight) February 4, 2019
- All Highline Public Schools and officesÂ wereÂ closed.
- The City of Burien closed City Hall, as well as all public meetings (a Council meeting set for 7 p.m. tonight is canceled). The next scheduled meeting is onÂ Monday, Feb. 25 at 7:00 p.m.
- All classes and programs at both the Burien Community Center and Moshier Art Center were also canceled.
HOW MUCH LONGER? The National Weather Service says that snow will fall until around 1 p.m. Monday, and issued a Winter Weather Advisory warning of around 2-4 inches total, slippery road conditions and colder temps…then basically freezing it all Monday night:
UPDATE: All City of Burien facilities will be closed all day. All classes, programs, and public meetings (including tonight’s Council meeting) are canceled. Follow us for updates on local road conditions throughout the day. For regional news: https://t.co/E99gFvKvJv pic.twitter.com/qpjDJ2vfcRâ€” City of Burien, WA (@Burien) February 4, 2019
URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Seattle WA 830 AM PST Mon Feb 4 2019 WAZ509-511-558-559-042100- /O.EXT.KSEW.WW.Y.0012.000000T0000Z-190204T2100Z/ Tacoma Area-Hood Canal Area-Seattle and Vicinity- Bremerton and Vicinity- including Tacoma, Fife, DuPont, Puyallup, Shelton, Seabeck, Belfair, Brinnon, Seattle, White Center, Tukwila, Renton, Burien, Des Moines, Kent, Federal Way, Bremerton, Poulsbo, and Indianola 830 AM PST Mon Feb 4 2019 …WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM PST THIS AFTERNOON… * WHAT…Snow continued. Total accumulations of 2 to 4 inches. * WHERE…Land areas around central Puget Sound, including the Seattle metro area, Tacoma, Bremerton. * WHEN…Until 1 PM PST this afternoon. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Plan on slippery road conditions. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will cause primarily travel difficulties. Expect snow covered roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving. For the latest road conditions in Washington state, call 5 1 1.Weather prognosticators also say that we have entered a true wintry weather pattern, which means on and off snow/rain/slush for the next week â€“ here’s the detailed forecast:
- Today: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Wind chill values between 17 and 22. Breezy, with a north wind around 24 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
- Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 23. Wind chill values between 14 and 19. North northwest wind 16 to 21 mph decreasing to 7 to 12 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 26 mph.
- Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 35. Wind chill values between 13 and 23. North northwest wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
- Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 21. East northeast wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
- Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 38. Southeast wind 5 to 7 mph becoming south southwest in the afternoon.
- Wednesday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow showers after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26.
- Thursday: A chance of snow showers before 4pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Thursday Night: A chance of rain and snow showers before 10pm, then a chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 33.
- Friday: A chance of snow showers before 10am, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 40.
- Friday Night: A chance of rain and snow showers before 10pm, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.
- Saturday: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38.
- Saturday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.
- Sunday: A slight chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 38.
If you have any great snow photos, please email a high-res version to [email protected], and we’ll consider posting the best ones!