Burien Actors Theatre’s (BAT) Shelter-In-Place Season has just two more weekends of online performance readings left, continuing this weekend with the comedy ‘Hindle Wakes.’
The performance readings are Saturday, June 13 at 8 p.m., and Sunday, June 14 at 2 p.m.
BAT’s Shelter-in-place Season consists of five plays read online by very talented actors under the guidance of equally talented directors (read our previous review here).
These plays are the Artistic Director’s choice with little supervision. Hindle Wakes made the list because of the young women in the play. Over a hundred years ago, they were ahead of their time in understanding they were more than just property.
BAT’s Shelter-in-place Season is a fundraiser. BAT understands funds are tight for some. So donate any amount, no matter how large or small, and get a link to see the Zoom reading. Plus, for Zombie all donations up to $10,000 will be matched.
Donations to the season help BAT, the creative team, and Click-4-Tix, BAT’s online ticket seller, as they both face hard times. They also pay for show costs.
For tickets to a unique experience in these twisted times, go burienactorstheatre.org or:
Hindle Wakes, by Stanley Houghton, was written in 1912. Set at the height of the woman suffrage movement, Hindle Wakes is a humorous look at social mores 108 years ago. The center of the play is an unmarried young couple, a mill worker, and the son of the mill owner, who take off for a weekend of fun. Despite their best efforts, their parents find out. Reputations are soiled; marriage is on the horizon.
What makes Hindle Wakes shine is Fanny, the young woman. She was a woman ahead of her time, and she’ll have none of it. She will steal your heart.
Actors and directors:
- Sir Timothy Farrar: Dale Bowers
- Mrs. Hawthorn: Susan Echols-Orton
- Mrs. Jeffcote: Pat Haines-Ainsworth
- Nathaniel Jeffcote: Phillip Keiman
- Beatrice Farrar: Kpojo Kparyea
- Fanny Hawthorn: Shawna Lloyd
- Alan Jeffcote: Ryan Sanders
- Christopher Hawthorn: Tom Stewart
- Stage directions: Maggie Larrick
- Stage director: Devin Roger
Performance Schedule for Shelter-in-place Season:
Here is the schedule for the remainder of BAT’s 2020 Shelter-in-place Season (all times are Pacific Daylight Time):
- Saturday, June 13 at 8 pm – Hindle Wakes, by Stanley Houghton
- Sunday, June 14 at 2 pm – Hindle Wakes, by Stanley Houghton
- Saturday, June 27 at 8 pm – They Promised Her the Moon, by Laurel Ollstein
- Sunday, June 28 at 2 pm – They Promised Her the Moon, by Laurel Ollstein
BAT has missed its audience very much and hopes to be together soon.
“Stay safe, and wash your hands!”