- This event has passed.
Learn about City of Burien’s new compostable food serviceware law on Wed., Feb. 3
February 3 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Starting July 1, 2021, a new law goes into effect requiring all Burien food service businesses to use compostable-only food serviceware.
This law was passed to reduce the growing amount of single-use plastic waste that ends up in our landfills and in our environment.
On Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2021, from 2–3 p.m., join the City of Burien, Discover Burien, and Zero Waste Washington for a virtual presentation about the law and how to make the switch to compostable products.
Register for the webinar here:
The Burien City Council passed Ordinance 709 on Feb. 3, 2020 banning the use and sale of plastic food service products.
All food service business must use and provide compostable food service products starting July 1, 2021.
This ordinance applies to all food service businesses, including restaurants, grocery stores, delis, coffee shops, food trucks, and home delivery services.
Specifically, the ordinance:
- Requires all food serviceware and packaging to be commercially compostable. The products must meet ASTM D6400 or ASTM D6868 standards, or be made of natural fiber (such as paper or wood).
- Prohibits products such as Styrofoam take out containers, plastic lined take out containers, plastic utensils, and plastic to go cups.
- Exemptions to the law include: prepackaged foods, catering trays, produce bags, clear food and shrink wrap, containers from uniquely shaped foods like cupcakes, hot meat item containers, straws, and items that receive a one-year waiver.
- Compostable Food Serviceware Requirements (English)
- Shuruudaha looga baahan yahay Adeegga Cuntada ee Qashinka ah (Somali)
- Requisitos Para Productos Compostables de Servicio Alimentos (Español)
- Mga Kailangan para sa Kagamitan sa Pagkain na Puwedeng Gawing Compost (Tagalog)
- Các Yêu Cầu Đối Với Dụng Cụ Phục Vụ Ăn Uống Có Thể Phân Hủy (Tiếng Việt)
For questions about the law or to get support for your business, please contact:
Environmental Education Specialist
More information about the law is here: www.burienwa.gov/compostables