AWARD-WINNING HYPERLOCAL NEWS, MADE WITH LOVE.
The B-Town Blog is part of South King Media, an independent, locally-owned, family-run media company that creates and produces award-winning local news/events websites, email newsletters, live videos, podcasts and film/video productions for a large area south of Seattle, WA.
We publish seven local websites for the South King County area, where we serve up the latest local news, politics, events, crime news, arts, entertainment, photos, videos and more with a monthly reach of over 140,000 Readers.
We pride ourselves on publishing professional, award-winning, high-quality “hyperlocal journalism” that serves the region we live, work, play and spend our money in.
South King Media is proud to be active members of both the Society of Professional Journalists as well as LION (Local Independent Online News) Publishers, which is “committed to strong local independent journalism, whether in small towns or big cities, creating stories that serve their residents and build a sense of place, and shining an informative light that allows citizens to make wise decisions.”
We follow their journalistic ethics, and have won numerous awards from the SPJ.
South King Media is family-run, inclusive, and embraces and celebrates the diversity of our region. We truly believe and behave that “we’re stronger together.”
Our local news websites are also certified by Google News:
Here are The B-Town Blog’s average monthly stats for calendar year 2021 (as per Google Analytics):
- Sessions: 61,238/month
- Pageviews: 201,919/month
WE LOVE TO SERVE OUR COMMUNITY
We LOVE to serve our community, since we live here, work here, have family and good friends here…and we spend our money here.
Part of our founding mission was to help our community by building it up, and we’re proud to have published thousands of stories promoting and marketing local nonprofits and other organizations’ events – at no fee – with value in the tens of thousands of dollars over 15 years.
BUSINESS SUPPORTED WITH GREAT REACH
For local businesses, we offer the best reach and best prices of any local advertising source.
According to a 2018 survey done for the City of Burien, we have a 71% market reach in Burien. We also have a very engaged social media audience that loves our original, independent “hyperlocal” news.
For more info or a full Media Kit/Rate Card, please email Theresa Schaefer at [email protected]comcast.net.
The main Contributors to this website include:
- Scott Schaefer, Founder/Publisher/Editor: With three National Emmy Awards for Writing on “Bill Nye the Science Guy” and over 35 years’ experience in TV/video, multimedia, marketing/advertising, technology and the internet, Scott started The B-Town Blog as a hobby and has since turned it into a full-time business. His previous credits include as a Director on “Penn & Teller:Bullsh*t!” (Showtime), “The Arsenio Hall Show” (Paramount), “Sightings” (Paramount), “Totally Hidden Video” (Fox), “America’s Funniest People” (ABC), Fox On-Air Promotions and KING-TV’s “Almost Live!” where he got his start in 1985. To learn more about or connect with Schaefer, visit https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottso/ or http://www.scottso.net.
- Theresa Schaefer, Sales Manager. Scott’s wife joined him in 2012, and she handles Sales and Marketing/Promotions. Previously she served as a member of the Victorinox Swiss Army Sales Management team. Theresa is a veteran sales and marketing professional – with deep customer service experience honed at Nordstrom – who is ready to help your business. Email her for our Media Kit.
- Gerald Patriarca has a BA in Communication from Seattle Pacific University with a background in journalism. He has written articles for his high school and college newspaper, spent time as an intern at KING 5 and KOMO 4 and worked at The Seattle Times. Aside from writing, Gerald, his wife Alma, and their son James own JAG’s Auto Detail in Tukwila. To schedule an appointment and for more information, please visit jagsautodetail.com.
- Alia Sinclair is a writer residing in SeaTac. She is passionate about the arts and connecting people through the written word. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Patchwork Mosaic, a magazine for creatives.
- Sarah Brusig has been in media and publishing for over 15 years and previously served as the president of the Society of Professional Journalists – Western Washington chapter. Sarah is the recipient of the McCormick Foundation New Media Women grant and was presented with the Community Builder Award by Rep. Pramila Jayapal. She resides in South King County where she regularly advocates for human rights, animal rights and education. Keep up with Sarah on Twitter and Facebook or to reach out with story ideas/suggestions.
- Jack Mayne, Senior Reporter. UPDATE 12/30/21: Sadly, veteran journalist and good friend Jack Mayne has passed away – read his obit/tribute here. Mayne has done about all there is to do in print journalism. He has been city editor of the Seattle P.I. back in its glory days, edited the Journal American in Bellevue and Valley Daily News in Kent in the 1990s. Before that he was a freelance international journalist and reported from South Africa, China, visited over 80 countries and even covered a colonial war in the 20th century between the United Kingdom and Argentina over the desolate Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic. He got his start at the Vancouver Province, thence to The Associated Press, becoming chief of the New England bureau, but a desire of AP to send him to Buffalo, N.Y., drove him back to Seattle. With writing for print becoming quaint and dated, he is now setting his sights on Web journalism and has written several stories for the B-Town Blog and plans many more.
- Izzy Wallace is a graduate from Highline College, where she got her AA in Multimedia, and her BAS in Integrated Design. She had previously worked at Highline’s Thunderword newspaper for several years as Editor-in-Chief. You can send her ideas for news stories, or photos of your dogs, at [email protected].
- Nicholas Johnson (he/him) is an award-winning writer, editor and photographer who grew up in Boulevard Park, graduated from Highline High School and studied journalism at Western Washington University. Send news tips, story ideas and positive vibes to [email protected] UPDATE: In May, 2022, Johnson won an award from the Society of Professional Journalists for Investigative Reporting in the Writing/Small newsrooms category in its 2021 Pacific Northwest Excellence in Journalism Contest (read his award-winning article here). Johnson has since moved on to another gig at the Everett Herald..
- Michael Brunk, Photographer/Technical Guru. With a love of photography that spans more than 20 years, Michael has fond memories of film but wouldn’t give up his digital SLR for anything. His checkered past includes stints as a monthly columnist for a nationally published magazine on telecommunications and technology and several years reviewing movies. He’s also been known to dabble in community theater. His main qualifications are a large camera and amazing skills we call ‘Brunksmanship.’ He also has built and maintained the code that runs our sites.
- Shane Griffiths is a self-taught Marketing Consultant who helped us re-design our entire network of websites after a disastrous server crash in Aug., 2019. He started his first consulting business in 2011 to help small businesses get found online. He then lead a small advertising agency in the transition from traditional to digital services, doubling their clients in 9 months. His latest venture, Clarity Online, uses SEO and WordPress to help struggling businesses rise to the top.
UPDATE NOV. 4, 2020: We are humbled and honored to have won the 2020 “Corporate Citizen of the Year” award from the Seattle Southside Chamber of Commerce! Read more and see the awards event video here.
UPDATE MAY 18, 2019: The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) honored The B-Town Blog with a First Place ‘General Excellence’ Award for small publications over a five state area for 2019! This is our third First Place award from the SPJ over our 12+ year history.
LEARN ABOUT SCHAEFER’S SECRET LIFE IN PODCAST INTERVIEW WITH PAT CASHMAN:: Scott was recently interviewed about his professional career in TV and his start at the Seattle comedy show “Almost Live!” by legendary funnyman Pat Cashman:
SEATTLE BUSINESS PROFILE
In late August, 2018, South King Media was profiled by Seattle Business Magazine.