Ready to get dirty for a good cause? Volunteers are needed for upcoming Miller and Walker Creek work party events to:
- Plant native trees and shrubs
- Pull out invasive non-native plants
- Clean up litter
The volunteer projects listed below – which start Saturday, Mar. 18, 2023 – welcome people of all ages.
Younger people may need to be accompanied by an adult – check with event organizers.
Unless otherwise noted, no experience is necessary.
You’ll learn on the job!
By volunteering, you help make the Miller and Walker Creek basins better for people, fish, and wildlife.
Register or sign up for emails here.
|9:30 a.m.-12 p.m., March 18, May 6, May 20, 2023||Walker Preserve Forest Restoration: Remove ivy and other invasive plants, and plant native plants to restore habitat along Miller and Walker creeks. No experience needed, tools provided.||Walker Preserve Park in Normandy Park (click for map) (SW 168th Street & 2nd Ave SW) – Meet at this intersection at the Walker Preserve sign, then walk through the gate, cross the creek, and go left down the trail.||https://forms.gle/tfP1NJDrkBA1otaD9Iris Kemp, Miller-Walker Basin Steward|
|9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. March 25, April 22, May 13, 2023||Miller Creek Forest Restoration: Rip out invasive weeds and plant native plants to make Miller Creek and its fish healthier! No experience needed, tools provided.||Burien – along the Miller Creek trail – from the intersection of S. 144th Street and S. 144th Way, walk south along S. 144th Way, and turn right onto the trail. We’ll be on the right.||https://burien.greencitypartnerships.org/event/map/Iris Kemp, Miller-Walker Basin Steward|
|1st Fridays 10 a.m.-1 p.m.||Normandy Park Community Foresters: Community Foresters volunteers receive training in restoration ecology while restoring the upper forested section of Marine View Park.||Marine View Park, 20945 Marine View Dr SW, Normandy Park, WA 98166||https://normandyparkwa.gov/events/ Email [email protected].|
|2nd Saturdays 10 a.m.-1 p.m.||Normandy Park Family Foresters: Family-friendly restoration event at Marine View Park.||Marine View Park, 20945 Marine View Dr SW, Normandy Park, WA 98166||https://normandyparkwa.gov/events/|
|2nd Saturdays |
9 a.m.-12 p.m.
2023 Dates: Mar. – Oct
|Stewards of the Cove: Work to preserve and Protect Miller and Walker Creeks where they meet the Sound. Work varies month to month and includes control of invasive plants and planting of native trees and shrubs.||Normandy Park Community Club, 1500 Southwest Shorebrook Dr, Normandy Park, WA||Merry Ann Peterson, Stewards of the Cove|
COVID-19 Considerations & Protocols:
- We want to keep everyone safe. Please do not attend the event if you have been experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of smell or taste, or if anyone in your household is suspected to have or diagnosed with COVID-19.
- We ask volunteers to bring their own gardening/work gloves if possible.
- We will have a hand sanitizing station on site.
What to Bring:
- Gardening gloves/work gloves
- Closed-toe shoes are required! (ex: sturdy sneakers, rain boots, hiking boots. No sandals, heels, or flats)
- Layers of clothing that can get dirty
- Long sleeves and thick leg coverings to protect against thorny plants (shorts or capris are not recommended)
- Rain gear -OR- sunblock and a sun hat (be sure to check the weather)
- Full water bottle
Stewardship of the Miller/Walker Creeks basin is jointly funded by the City of Burien, City of Normandy Park, City of SeaTac, King County, and the Port of Seattle. On behalf of the partners, this page is proudly hosted by King County Department of Natural Resources and Parks – Water and Land Resources Division.