Man suffers serious burns after propane tank explodes in Burien Tuesday night 1A propane explosion in Burien Tuesday night (Jan. 20) around 5:45 p.m. sent a man to the hospital with burns over 40-50 percent of his body, according to Bill Harm from the Burien/Normandy Park Fire Department. Harm told The B-Town Blog that the accident occurred in an RV park in the 11900 block of Ambaum Blvd. SW, when a man tried to remove the valve off a propane take with a mechanical blade. “The vapors in the tank were ignited by a spark from the blade,” Harm said. “The ensuing explosion then basically destroyed the 10×12-foot shed the man was working in, blowing out three of the walls and burning the man.” Neighbors helped pull the victim out of the destroyed shed – which did not catch fire – before firefighters arrived. The victim suffered serious burns and was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. The propane tank that exploded was a standard RV/BBQ-style 5-gallon propane tank, the kind available at grocery stores. “The lesson here is not to use mechanical blades on flammable propane tanks,” Harm added. Here are some relevant Tweets about this incident: