The Burien Art Market (BAM!) in the Garden is returning to the New Start Community Garden on Saturday, July 1, 2023, from 1 – 5 p.m.
This fundraiser event is different from what might be expected from a fundraiser – it’s located in a blooming garden!
BAM! features local artists selling original arts and handmade crafts.
Bring a lawn chair or blanket to enjoy the entertainment and music from the stage.
The July 1st event features 4 performers:
- Dancer/percussionist Etienne Cakpo, from Benin, West Africa, shares his dance style and expression.
- Janelle Bel Isle dances in many styles from the middle east to the Balkans.
- Chet Corpt brings sweet sounds on the melodious Kora, an African harp lute made from a gourd.
- The 4th performer, Bob Antolin, is a multi-instrumentalist playing guitar, flute, and saxophone.
The Shark Garden (named after the school’s mascot) is also known as the New Start Community Garden, is a dynamic community gathering space worth a brief history and description to set the stage of BAM! fundraising party.
Located in the old baseball field of the Salmon Creek Elementary School, the 1.6-acre garden is now filled with greenhouses, pea patches, an orchard, a plethora of flowers, a native plant garden, and more.
The garden produces approximately 4,000 pounds (1,800 kgs) of food annually and focusses on veggies and herbs used in international recipes and dishes used by our diverse community. The garden produce is harvested by volunteers and is donated to White Center Food Bank.
Solar Power runs the irrigation system, music for events, and power for cooking classes, making the garden eco-friendly and sustainable.
A music stage in the old baseball batting cage, now covered with flowering vines provides a lush, green backdrop for musicians and speakers.
There’s artwork on the garden fences from local artists, sculptures created by students at the New Start High School, and an Orca mural to enjoy while strolling along the pathways.
Pea patches are available for $30 per year. So, if you want to be part of this garden, there’s a spot for you on the waiting list at SharkGrden.org.
This fundraiser supports Burien Arts throughout the year. Here is a brief list of the Burien Arts annual events:
- Bi-Monthly Art Exhibits in the Highline Heritage Museum Conference Room
- Bi-Monthly YouTube Video of Featured Artist – In the Artist’s Studio
- Weekly on Sunday Afternoons – Zoom Art Lessons for all Ages.
- Two Annual Shakespeare in the Park Performances
- Quarterly – Life Drawing Classes with a Nude Model
- November – Vision 2023 Art Gala
- Monthly – 7 Stories at Highline Heritage Museum
“Wear your fancy pantaloons and enjoy an afternoon of art, music, and dance!”
WHEN: Saturday, July 1, 2023 from 1 – 5 p.m.
WHERE: New Start Community Garden, next to New Start High School, 614 SW 120th Street, Burien: