On a glorious sunny summer Saturday, the Kennedy Catholic High School football Lancers held on despite a late 3-touchdown rally in the 4th quarter to beat the Highline High Pirates by a score of 45-38 at Highline Memorial Stadium on Sept. 9, 2023.
The game was a back-and-forth affair from the start, with both teams trading scores. Highline took an 8-0 lead early on. The Lancers answered with a touchdown run and 2-point conversion to tie the game at 8-8 at the end of the first quarter.
The second quarter was just as competitive, with both teams scoring, but Kennedy took a 22-15 lead into halftime.
The third quarter started with a thrilling long kickoff return by Highline’s Jamaine Matthews Jr. Then it was pretty much all Lancers, as they scored three TDs (23 points) to take a 38-15 lead. It looked like the game was over.
How could the Pirates possibly come back after a 23-0 drubbing in the third?
Well, hold onto you hats…with just a few minutes left in the game, Highline rallied, quickly answering with 23 points of their own…but it was just not enough to overcome the one-touchdown deficit.
In the end, the 4A private school Kennedy Catholic came out on top of Highline, a 2A public school, who can hold their heads high knowing that they gave it their all.
The annual Battle of Burien intercity football match is always a heated rivalry, and this year’s game was no exception. Both teams played their hearts out, and the fans were treated to a thrilling contest.
Some key plays of the game:
- Highline’s touchdown pass from Ronan Rasmussen to Marquawn McCraney in the first quarter gave them a 6-0 lead.
- Kennedy Catholic’s touchdown run in the first quarter tied the game at 8-8.
- Highline’s touchdown pass from Rasmussen to McCraney in the second quarter.
- Highline’s Jamaine Matthews Jr. long kickoff return to start the third quarter.
- Kennedy Catholic’s three touchdowns in the third quarter gave them a 38-15 lead.
- Highline’s three touchdowns in a valiant fourth quarter comeback cut the lead to 45-38, but they could not get any closer.