Highline Schools Foundation’s Gold Star Awards Breakfast raises over $92,000
Last Friday morning (April 18), 230 people gathered at Cedarbrook Lodge in SeaTac to support the Highline Schools Foundation at its annual Gold Star Awards Breakfast.
This much-anticipated celebration raised over $92,000 to benefit all students in Highline Public Schools by supporting their academic needs, college & career readiness programs, arts and athletic experiences in school, and many more unique and individual needs in Highline.
“The event was moving, eye-opening, and inspiring,” said Mike Yellam, Foundation Trustee and Gold Star Awards Breakfast Chair. It really brought to life the notion that every one of us has a role in supporting our students—and that together—we can have a huge collective impact on their experience while in Highline,” he added.
Highlights from the Gold Star Awards Breakfast included:
- Highline Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Susan Enfield’s address, which gave an insightful look at how Highline is progressing as a result of the district’s new strategic plan—and opportunities ahead.
- The surprise announcement of a $5,000 scholarship to Camila Palacio, Senior at Raisbeck Aviation High School, awarded by Alaska Airlines as their first annual Highline Schools Foundation Alaska Airlines scholarship.
- Brad Tilden, President and CEO of Alaska Airlines, honoring Ray Conner, President and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, with the award for “Outstanding Alumnus.” Both Tilden and Conner are products of Highline Public Schools, and both are HHS graduates.
- A wildly successful centerpiece auction, which raised nearly $6,000 for Highline Schools Foundation in just 60 seconds! The centerpieces were generously provided by local business owner Dan the Sausageman.
And the honoring of the following 2014 Highline Schools Foundation Gold Star Award winners:
- Outstanding Teacher, CLAIRE WAISTELL, Sylvester Middle School
- Administrator, KARIN JONES, McMicken Heights Elementary School
- Outstanding Classified Employee, LINDA SIMPIER , Highline Transportation Dept.
- Outstanding Volunteers: Cheryl Forbes, Fuki Masuzawa, Cherie Trondson and Linda Elmore, Bow Lake Elementary School
Here are photos from the event:
For more information, visit www.highlineschoolsfoundation.org.