Brad Tilden (left), President and CEO of Alaska Airlines and 2011 Outstanding Alumnus Award Winner, honors Ray Conner, this yearâ€™s Highline Schools Foundation Gold Star Award Winner for Outstanding Alumnus. Mr. Conner is the President and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, and graduated from Highline High School in 1973. Photo by Andrew Crain Photography.[/caption] Last Friday morning (April 18), 230 people gathered at Cedarbrook Lodge in SeaTac to support the Highline Schools Foundation at its annual Gold Star Awards Breakfast. This much-anticipated celebration raised over $92,000 to benefit all students in Highline Public Schools by supporting their academic needs, college & career readiness programs, arts and athletic experiences in school, and many more unique and individual needs in Highline. â€œThe event was moving, eye-opening, and inspiring,â€ said Mike Yellam, Foundation Trustee and Gold Star Awards Breakfast Chair. It really brought to life the notion that every one of us has a role in supporting our studentsâ€”and that togetherâ€”we can have a huge collective impact on their experience while in Highline,â€ he added. Highlights from the Gold Star Awards Breakfast included:
- Highline Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Susan Enfieldâ€™s address, which gave an insightful look at how Highline is progressing as a result of the districtâ€™s new strategic planâ€”and opportunities ahead.
- The surprise announcement of a $5,000 scholarship to Camila Palacio, Senior at Raisbeck Aviation High School, awarded by Alaska Airlines as their first annual Highline Schools Foundation Alaska Airlines scholarship.
- Brad Tilden, President and CEO of Alaska Airlines, honoring Ray Conner, President and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, with the award for â€œOutstanding Alumnus.â€ Both Tilden and Conner are products of Highline Public Schools, and both are HHS graduates.
- A wildly successful centerpiece auction, which raised nearly $6,000 for Highline Schools Foundation in just 60 seconds! The centerpieces were generously provided by local business owner Dan the Sausageman.
- Outstanding Teacher, CLAIRE WAISTELL, Sylvester Middle School
- Administrator, KARIN JONES, McMicken Heights Elementary School
- Outstanding Classified Employee, LINDA SIMPIER , Highline Transportation Dept.
- Outstanding Volunteers: Cheryl Forbes, Fuki Masuzawa, Cherie Trondson and Linda Elmore, Bow Lake Elementary School