ARPA grant funding will be available from the City of Burien this summer to support small businesses as they navigate the continuing economic impacts of the pandemic.
Eligible businesses can apply for $5,000 pandemic recovery grants which do not need to be repaid. These grants are made possible by funding provided to the City by the federal government through the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).
The application portal for small businesses to apply will open 5 p.m. on Tuesday, June 20, 2023.
Small businesses continue to face widespread challenges in recovering from the pandemic. Revenue declines, increased costs, workforce shortages, supply chain challenges, lack of access to capital and inflationary pressures continue to put our vibrant small business community at risk. Small business grants will help mitigate potential job losses, business closures, decline in sales tax revenue, and loss of goods and services to the community caused by enduring economic impacts of the pandemic.
Applicants are encouraged to review eligibility, required documentation, and additional information below before applying.
Businesses must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have ten or fewer full-time employees (FTE) on the business payroll at time of grant application
- Have been in business for at least the last 24 months within the Burien city limits
- Have experienced a 25% decline in gross revenue over any 3-month period since the start of the pandemic
- Be a “brick and mortar” business with a physical location in Burien or, be a “home-based” childcare business
- Have an active Burien business license with a Burien business address
- Be current on payment of taxes and fees owed to the City of Burien
- Be actively open for business
- Be engaged in a type of business eligible to receive funding by the U.S. Small Business Administration
Applicants are ineligible if they:
- Are a franchise
- Are a national chain
- Are a nonprofit
- Are a home-based business other than a home-based childcare business (see above)
- Are a business owned or partially owned by an individual or immediate family member who is:
- a staff member, manager, or director of Ventures Nonprofit,
- a City of Burien councilmember, or
- a City of Burien employee
Applicants must provide the following information in their application:
- Completed grant application and attestation
- Completed grant agreement
- In order to show a 25% decline in gross revenue over any three-month period since the start of the pandemic, one of the following:
- Tax returns for 2019 and 2020 or 2021 and 2022, or
- Three consecutive profit and loss statements or bank statements between 2020–2022
- Completed W-9 form
- Completed direct deposit information
Grant applications will be reviewed and awarded during the following time period:
- June 20, 2023: Grant application portal opens
- June – July 11, 2023: Grant applications will be received
- August 2023: Grant funds will begin to be dispersed