King County Metro Transit wants to know “what would you like to see at a potential housing development next door to the Burien Transit Center?” and they’re holding an Open House this Thursday, Oct. 5, 2023.
All are invited to come to a Drop-In Open House at the Burien City Hall/Library this Thursday, Oct. 5, 2023 from 4:30–7:30 p.m. to learn more.
Metro said it plans to redevelop the underused 0.75-acre parking lot into a 5-story building that provides affordable housing, activates the space, and provides value to the Burien community.
Community input will help create a set of community project goals for the developer.
Affordable Housing Next Door to Transit
- Metro’s policies support building affordable housing within walking and rolling distance of transit hubs like the Burien Transit Center.
- Based on the site’s size and allowable zoning it’s likely the site could support a building with more than 100 housing units and an active ground floor use.
- Metro is moving forward in collaboration with the King County Department of Human and Community Services and in line with Metro’s Equitable Transit Oriented Communities Policy.
- Metro plans to offer the property for a mixed-used affordable housing project and offer up to $10 million of King County Housing Trust Fund dollars for the project.
- Since 2017, King County’s Housing Trust Fund has anticipated funding a potential project at this location.
- Community project goals are in development thanks to input from an advisory committee and will be available at the open house for review and input.
- Community input will help create a set of community project goals that will inform a future developer solicitation, anticipated in 2024.
More info here:
Contact [email protected].
In-Person Drop-In Open House (come by when you can):
- WHEN: Thursday, Oct. 5, 2023: 4:30-7:30 p.m.
- WHERE: Burien City Hall/Library, Community Room, 1st floor, 400 SW 152nd Street: