By Jack Mayne
People who have illegally entered the United States within the past two years will be quickly removed by federal officers, the Washington Post reported Monday (July 22) afternoon.
The Post said the “Trump administration on Tuesday will significantly expand its power to quickly deport undocumented immigrants who have illegally entered the United States within the past two years.” They will use a fast-track deportation process that bypasses immigration judges.
The Post said officials are calling the new strategy – which will take effect immediately – a “necessary response” to the influx of Central Americans and others at the southern border. It will allow immigration authorities to quickly remove immigrants from anywhere they encounter them across the United States, and they expect the approach will help alleviate the nation’s immigration-court backlog and free up space in Immigration and Customs Enforcement jails.
The Washington Post said the stated targets of the change are people who sneaked into the United States and do not have an asylum case or immigration-court date pending. Previously, the administration’s policy for “expedited removal” had been limited to migrants caught within 100 miles of the U.S. border who had been in the country for less than two weeks. The new rule would apply to immigrants anywhere in the United States who have been in the country for less than two years â€” adhering to a time limit included in the 1996 federal law that authorized the expedited process.