On the agenda for Monday night’s (Jan. 8, 2024) Burien City Council meeting: election of a new Mayor and Deputy Mayor, appointments of councilmembers to committees, planning for 2024 and more.
This first meeting of 2024 will serve as a real-time opportunity for residents to learn more about Burien’s “Council-Manager” form of government:
- In such Council-Manager models, the Mayor and Deputy Mayor are not directly elected into their roles by voters, but rather are selected from among elected City Councilmembers to preside over the Council.
- Councilmembers can nominate others, or even themselves, then take a vote until a majority member is elected.
- The Mayor serves a 2-year term and is selected at the first meeting of the year following an election.
- The Deputy Mayor serves a 1-year term and is selected at the first meeting of each year.
- Differences between the “Mayor-Council” and “Council-Manager” forms of government are highlighted here.
Download the full agenda packet here.
Here are some agenda highlights:
ELECTION OF MAYOR & DEPUTY MAYOR
- a) Election of City of Burien Mayor: Heather Dumlao, City Clerk
- b) Election of City of Burien Deputy Mayor, City of Burien Mayor (TBD)
PRESENTATIONS AND PROCLAMATIONS
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
Notice to all participants: Pursuant to RCW 42.17A.555, campaigning for any ballot measure or candidate in City Hall and/or during any portion of the Council Meeting – including the public comment period – is prohibited.
- a) Discussion of 2024 Proclamations: Devin Chicras, Communications and Public Engagement Manager
- b) 2024 Appointments of City Councilmembers to Local and Regional Organizations: Heather Dumlao, City Clerk
- c) City Council Planning Calendar: Adolfo Bailon, City Manager