OnÂ Sunday, Aug. 9, 2015, there will be a stream of 140-160Â ObliterideÂ cyclists rolling through Burien as they ride to raise funds for cancer research at Fred Hutch. Obliteride is more than a bike ride. Itâ€™s a movement to obliterate cancer. Half of all men and a third of all women in the U.S. will develop cancer during their lifetimes. Together as a community we are fighting back, aggressively raising money for cancer research.
â€œThis bike ride is a journey where everyone is riding for the same thing â€“ better treatments, better outcomes and better lives.â€
What is Obliteride?You can bike all year, but only one weekend a year is it surrounded with the best food, fun, and feeling that isÂ Obliteride: August 7-9, 2015. Mark your calendarÂ and start getting excited for a new annual tradition. This weekend brings together a community whose collective spirit of relentlessness will create the world we all want to live in. A world where cancer is behind us. As we train and fundraise throughout the year and ride across the finish line on Sunday, Aug. 9, we remember who weâ€™re riding for; the loved ones who lost their battle, those currently battling, for kids who will be impacted by this disease and all those survivors who are still with us today because of research happening at Fred Hutch. This bike ride is a journey where everyone is riding for the same thing â€“ better treatments, better outcomes and better lives. Together, weâ€™ve raised over $4.1 million to date;Â 100% of every dollar raised for Obliteride goes toward lifesaving cancer research at Fred Hutch.Â Each year, weâ€™re looking to recruit more riders, fundraise more money, have more fun and ultimately allow our scientists to explore more cures that will save the lives of our loved ones. Check out theÂ Top 10 ReasonsÂ to support Obliteride and Fred Hutch.
How can YOUÂ get involved?There are lots ofÂ ways that you can get involvedÂ to support the Obliteride effort:
- Join theÂ WABI BurienÂ Course Spirit Team. (See instructions below.)
- JoinÂ as a Rider or Virtual Rider.
- VolunteerÂ your time to help out during Obliteride.
- Become anÂ Ambassador.
- MentorÂ a Rider.
- Sign up as aÂ Company Partner.
How canÂ BurienÂ get involved? Get your orange on! Letâ€™s show them that Burien is the coolest city along their route.Weâ€™re creating aÂ WABI Burien Course Spirit TeamÂ to cheer forÂ the tired riders as they go through our town onÂ Day 2 of their 150-mile ride. On Sunday, August 9, the cyclists will be rolling through Burien between 8:30 and 11:00 a.m. or so, coming from the south, heading north and then east. Weâ€™llÂ form 4 cheerleading clusters at designatedÂ points along the way:
- 1 Top of Snake Hill â€“ Applaud them for having biked up that crazy hill.
- 2 Three Tree Point â€“ Send them on their way UP Maplewild.
- 3 Maplewild Hairpin Turn â€“ The last push to the top of the hill.
- 4 Burien Town Square â€“ Cheer them and wave goodbye as they roll by.
How to register to be on the WABI Burien Course Spirit Team:
- Go to the Obliteride web site home page:Â www.obliteride.org
- Click on the Volunteer link in the middle of the home page, in the orange banner.
- Under Volunteer Registration, select the following options:
- Date:Â Sunday
- Volunteer Location:Â Course
- Team:Â Joining a Team
- Click â€œRegister Nowâ€
- Enter team name: â€œWABI Burienâ€œ, then â€œsearch full team listâ€.
- In the next window, click â€œJoinâ€ next to the WABI Burien name.
- Pre-selected option: â€œCourse Volunteer: Sunday August 9thâ€ â€“ No Fee (You may choose to donate if youâ€™d like to under theÂ WABI BurienÂ team name. Every dollar helps.)
- Click â€œNext Stepâ€
- Fill out your personal information as you wish.
- On Question #6, â€œPlease specify the volunteer position of most interest.â€ please scroll down and chooseÂ â€œCourse Spirit Team: Burienâ€œ
- Fill out the rest of the information and click â€œNext Stepâ€.
- Read through and accept the terms and conditionsÂ and click â€œNext Stepâ€.
- At the â€œRegistration Summaryâ€ page, click â€œComplete Registrationâ€ to finish the process.
- Your registration is complete!